EHX SUPEREGO

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darknut, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Go my superego today .... Review & tube video forthcoming.

Interesting pedal!

UPDATE

Here is my opinion so far: In latch mode & momentary mode the SuperEgo is pretty much a Freeze pedal with bonus of being able to adjust the release time easily & the layering ability (in latch mode) .... I don't immediately see a use for layering on bass but it works as expected.

Auto mode: this is what I expect most people are interested in & the only reason to dump a freeze for this (as I did)

Tracking: it does not track as good as the micro pog but it is completely usable you just have play the way it wants.
    It tracks about 1000% better playing with a pick than with fingers (at least with my tone on a Stingray)

At this point I'm still fiddling with best location in the effect chain ... I always ran the Freeze near end but I think auto mode may work better early before any dirt or octave pedals.

I haven't put anything in the EGO effect loop yet but I'm doing that here in a minute. :) Its ashamed the effect loop couldn't be active in the loop with the Freeze part bypassed so its either double up on some effects or get some fancy switching worked out if you want to use the internal loop.

More updates as I keep playing with it .... I'll get a tube vid up as soon as I think I have a handle on it enough to show a worth while demo ...

Update2 Here is a tube vid ... will prob make another later as I've only had the EGO a couple of days. This short vid def shows the SuperEgo is a useful pedal on bass IMHO anyway.

Def needs to be early in the effect chain ... any dirt or octave in front of the EGO will diminish the tracking. I also put a compressor in front of the EGO & the tracking was worse.

As I said before tracking is best with a pick but finger style is fine for slower stuff.

If you can play with at least some precision & finesse this pedal can be very useful .... if your sloppy & belligerent don't bother you'll just think the pedal sucks.
  2. bassicsax

bassicsax

can't wait, i really want one of these...
  3. Petros-J

Petros-J

yes... magick one!

it is a guitar video and the guy send/returns only EHX stuff (I wonder why) but it is great. The tremolo thing is very nice.
  4. B'Boom

B'Boom

This pedal is ineffective with bass guitar. The tracking is crappy. In "Auto mode", it is necessary to pinch strings very strongly, and in a slow tempo so that the effect reacts correctly.
    Really useless with a bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

IMO. YMMV of course. :rollno:

I find loads of good uses for the Superego on bass. :)
  7. J03YW

J03YW

Got one a week or so ago, blows my mind. I'm considering sending the loop out to another amp.
  8. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

I just got a freeze pedal...but now I really want this too! Oh the many things my empty wallet prevents me from having!
  9. Darknut

The Superego is just like any other pedal of this type ... you have to learn it's tendencies & be able to play with at least some precision to get the most out of it.

So far the SuperEgo is doing exactly what I expected ... maybe it's not the SuperEgo that is useless on bass.
  10. Mtnman

Mtnman

Bet it would sound cool with fretless
  11. Darknut

update ... see OP
  12. Darknut

Posted vid
  13. CrayZee_One

CrayZee_One Supporting Member

Thx for the vid!

Really gives some idea of it's potential on bass.
    Sounds like you can do some nice atmospheric stuff with it. Can't wait to hear what you can do with the fx loop, should be interesting.
    Just an aside, with tracking, you may find it's the active bass giving a bit of grief? Have you a passive bass to try with this for sh1t5 an giggles?

Cheers,
    C1
  14. Darknut

Just tried it with a passive bass ... zero difference in tracking between passive & active.
  15. CrayZee_One

CrayZee_One Supporting Member

Sweet as!