1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Either something is wrong with my Fender Precision or I got scammed, please help :(

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cheche32, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

I bought a used Fender P-bass MIM online, it looked and sounded normal (to me) but it makes a lot of hum when the tone knob is at full or near full, the hum goes away when I touch the knob or the strings. I used my bass with my boss noise suppresor and it helped, but the NS must be almost past the middle to get rid of the hum. I plugged it with my sansamp and the ecuation: p-bass + sansamp with presence= a LOT of hum that laughs in the face of my boss NS.
    I tried the same amp and the same cables with my Fender Jazz Bass American Standard and there is no hum at all.
    Finally I told my friend about my problem and he said something like: "Dude what if this guy sold you a bass with the neck of a Fender and the body and pickups of a Squier? How could you tell?,
    I've heard that Squier basses make a lot of hum" I dont want to sound like the paranoid parrot, but could you please help me to solve this thing?

Edit: Here is a video I made about the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qX4CpAax8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2. RxFunk

RxFunk

Pictures would help.

3. russpurdy

russpurdy

Squier basses usually have "squier" printed on the neck plate. What colour is it? Some finishes are only available on fenders and some on squiers. Taking the neck off and checking labels/markings would help to identify it as well.

As for the humming, it sounds like you probably have a loose ground wire. Very minor fix. If your comfortable with DIY you can look online and find wiring diagrams that show how everything should be connected. If your not comfortable with this take it to a tech or someone with some wrig experience and they should be able to fix it up quickly. P bass pickups are usually pretty quiet whether they are squier or fender but a loose wire will cause some. Might also want to check the outlets your amp is plugged into and make sure they are properly grounded.

4. cheche32

cheche32

Im taking photos, my bass neck is Fender and the serial checks but my friends idea is that the neck could be Fender but the body and the electronics Squier

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

Squiers generally don't hum any more or less than a MIM Fender would. In fact, many Squiers are better built than MIMs.

7. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note. Supporting Member

And FWIW, your bass may have a bad bridge grounding wire.

8. cheche32

cheche32

9. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

If your comfortable with it, you'd need to take the neck off the body. You can immediately tell if its a squire or a MIM. It's been a while since I seen a squire neck pocket, but they do differ that with a MIM there is usually a date printed on it, which should match the dated year (+- 1 year) it was made via the serial on neck. I believe the tone caps may differ too.

How you describe the issue though sounds like this especially if the hum goes away if you touch the strings:

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Nope. The fact that the hum goes away when the strings are touched proves that the bridge ground is intact. It's amazing how much bad information gets passed around on this topic.

To the op, are both sides of the pickup working? You can tap the coils with something metal to check. Sounds like you just may have a noisy bass. Shielding may help your issue.

11. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I looked at your pictures and it looks legit MIM to me - pickup included.

12. cheche32

cheche32

I just checked, yeah both pickups are working properly im umploading a video of my bass

13. cheche32

cheche32

Ok I separate the body from the neck, what does this mean??:

https://db.tt/ptsYDJvz

14. spaz21387

spaz21387

sounds like the ground came loose somewhere. check under the bridge and inside where the pots are for loose wires.

15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

It could be the wiring in your practice area or your amp. My amp was having minor grounding issues and my wiring Is pretty mediocre so I get exactly what you get from my P bass. I went to the local GC and it was dead quiet, take it to a local guitar store and see if it still does it there.

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

i don't see how something with cheaper hardware can be built better! i think you might mean assembled better,.. lol. :D

17. cheche32

cheche32

18. jordan2

jordan2

sounds like a grounding issue

19. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

That's a great looking bass.

20. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Does it get to be acceptable when you touch the strings? Because that's how guitar makers build things, they use your body as a shield.

21. cheche32

cheche32

Amm yeap when I touch it the hum dissapear but when im playing (I don´t use pick) the hum becomes very annoying