EKo 995 Hollowbody

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jmceachern36, Oct 26, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Justin. Looks to me like you might be the person to ask about old hollowbody basses. I'm on a search for one. Just played an EKO 995 violin type bass. Very cool bass! Sounds great. Anything i should beware of or problems to look for. The store selling it has it priced a little high or I'd have just bought it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Man they are great. Just make sure the neck is relatively straight and that the pickups work. It's pretty basic. I hope you buy one!

3. jmceachern36

Thanks. It seemed to be it nice shape. Came with the original case too. I'm now trying to figure out what it should cost. I may have to buy it either way. It was that cool.

4. jmjbassplayer

I think it's a "can't lose" scenario if it's relatively cheap, e.g. under $600-$700.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmceachern36

...and there it is. I paid on the high end but I got a free t-shirt. So that's somthing. Still cost much less than a German Hofner and much more interesting. The guys in my reggae band haven't forgiven me for selling my Hofner. There gonna love this. I do.

[​IMG]

7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

There's a quirky coolness about those old Ekos. Great find!!

8. jmjbassplayer

I have the same one! Mine has a four way weird paddle shaped pickup selector though, where that three-way is on yours. You'll love it.

9. jmceachern36

Another question, if you don't mind. I've had some issues in the past, when playing a Hofner, with feedback. Have you ever had that problem playing live with a hollowbody? Any suggestions for reducing or eliminating feedback when playing live?

10. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    For serious?! I've not had any trouble with my Høfner, and you're making me think that the folks who tell me I like to be too loud on stage are full of beans!! :^D

And the new bass looks AMAZING. Congrats!!

11. jmceachern36

Thanks... Not a ton of problems. But some. I did a couple of festivals with it, however, playing through a big SVT and the thing was howling. Usually my volume is reasonable though.

12. jmjbassplayer

Yeah, I've had my guy feedback before. You can stuff it with foam, that'll take out 20% maybe. But it's also not great for the tone. So I just play it quietly. :)

13. jmceachern36

Sounds good. Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate it. I used it on a gig this afternoon. Sounded great! Everyone loved it. My buddy is bidding on the matching guitar on Ebay because he liked the look of mine so much.

14. lcook

lcook

Did you, by chance, pick this up at Mr. Music on Harvard Ave.? I played this bass a month ago and swore I was gonna buy it next time I was in Boston! Early bird catches the worm, I guess...