1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eko acoustic. Ideas for pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mikbass, Nov 23, 2012.

1. mikbass

mikbass

I have an acoustic Eko just like the one in the clip
    and I would like to put a pickup in/on it.

All ideas are welcome!
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You can use either a sound hole magnetic pickup, assuming the strings have steel cores, and most do, or you can use a piezo pickup. Since that has a floating bridge you will need to get one for an archtop. Might have to be custom made if you can't find one to work with the bass.

You can also get piezo pickups that stick inside the body under the bridge. That might be the easiest way. Keep in mind that piezo pickups need a preamp. Otherwise you will get a clacky thin tone.
  3. mikbass

mikbass

Ok, thanks! I'm leaning towards a soundhole option since
    I think it might reproduce the "actual" acoustic sound, rather than the sound of the vibrating body/bridge.
    I don't reallt have the terminology right since I was never interested in electronics before, but I guess you understand.
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    A sound hole pickup will reproduce the strings, but the body has a big influence on how they vibrate.

A piezo pickup will reproduce more of the acoustic tone because it's sensing the motion of the bridge, and not just the strings.

That's why piezo bridges on solid body guitars sound more like an acoustic guitar. But sound hole pickups can sound good as well if you get one made for acoustic guitars.
  5. lsabina

lsabina

6. abarson

abarson

I was thinking that the Lace USAB pickup might work well, as you don't need to modify the bass to install it. The Eko ABGs are kind of rare, and might have collector value over time.