1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Electra/Westone club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehamsterman, Sep 27, 2009.

1. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

After my recent electra purchase, i looked around for an electra/westone/matsumoku club but couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any interest in forming one? or did i completely fail on my search?

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

I own the Electra phoenix x630n If you get one going, give me a number.

3. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Count me in!! I've owned at least a dozen Electras and other various Mat Factory basses. Right now I have my Electra below and an AWESOME Mat Factory Aria "Primary" bass.

This is the best of the Electra bunch:

4. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

gotta be more electra/westone players out there!!!! lets hear it for our awesome Japanese basses!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it's pretty much retired now. the neck pocket and headstock have splits and it's sort of a family heirloom.

7. ElectraPhoenix

ElectraPhoenix

i have an electra phoenix bass!

8. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    count me in,1982 Westone Thunder 1 P-Bass-was my number 1 bass for the last 10 years while i was still gigging.Sort of semi retired from playing out for a while but you never know.

9. gm2_in_co

gm2_in_co

[​IMG]

Its a work in progress but I fully expect this to be one of my main players sometime "real soon." Number please!

10. GM60466

GM60466

1978 Westone Phoenix

11. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Supporting Member

The Phoenix looks real nice.Love Westones.They are the real workhorses while the other ones hang on the wall.

12. thrashingbass

thrashingbass

Have an Electra Phoenix, 1983, x630na (when they started to make that model without the pickguard, unlike the above x630n that a previous poster mentioned.)

I have messed a lot with it by now, but it has been worth it. I was not going to be able to sell it for much in any case, and it does play excellent.

"Only" upgrades have been new pickups (both Delano pups), Gotoh bridge, two new 500 volume pots, one of them push/pull for series parallel. I did away with the tone, as I have no use for it, and there's a volume in its place. With flats, it sounds awesome: a heavy P bass-ish sound that is never muddy, very clear and clean without any hint of harshness. A beautiful sounding instrument.

I love the neck of the Electra. It's not super thin, yet it's thinner than a P, jazz style, very easy to play. The weight is also nice (not super light, but certainly not heavy.) The natural ash also looks nice, but of course not of boutique quality. Still, very easy on the eyes, or perhaps I have low standards. :p

Will maybe post pics later. If you can find one of these for cheap, you should grab it!!! :bassist:

13. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

I've had this for a few years & I reckon it'll be buried with me - 100% original:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also has original case.

armybass and Ken J like this.
  14. king koeller

king koeller

The Westone Raider, 1983,
    Made in Japan, and made to rock!
    Look at that sparkle finish!!

Attached Files:

15. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

16. Snipper!

Snipper! Guest

Yaaaay, I had a Thunder 1A as my first fretless, I also had another Westone that came with 2 interchangeable necks fretted/fretless, I've never seen another since...anyone have one?

17. Snipper!

Snipper! Guest

I would have crawled a desert for one of these back in the day, that's a nice one there, as a kid I watched an instructional program called 'Rockschool' on Saturday mornings the bass instructor, Henry Thomas used one of these most of the time, I couldn't take my eyes off it :hyper:

18. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

I had a 89 westone spectrum V. Neck felt amazing,but it had horrible neck dive,and the most narrow string spacing I've ever felt in my life. I felt like my fingers were tripping over the strings.

19. Tegzsa

Tegzsa

[​IMG]

Westone Thunder Jet. Bought it secondhand about 26 years ago. Doesn't get out much these days, but it's still going strong.

20. gm2_in_co

gm2_in_co

One Thunder Jet deserves another:

[​IMG]

I'm lucky enough to that the original case in decent shape too:

[​IMG]

21. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Is number 7 taken? That's the one that I would like to reserve.

Here are my qualifications!:D

The first one I picked up at a music store in Searcy, AR about 2 1/2 years ago for $59! Electra X630N

[​IMG]

I also own an Electra-Westone X695 (came with a fretted and a fretless neck), and a Westone Quantum (Steinberger copy).

I used to own a X635 that I stripped all of the finish off of and installed EMG's. It had the fretted neck from my X695 on it when it was stolen a few years ago.

And, I owned a Westone Pantera 5 string. Beautiful, pearl white, looked awesome, sounded awful, and was neck heavy with a baseball bat neck.