Electric Bach! J.S. Bach works played on 7-string electric bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Dave Grossman

Dave Grossman Supporting Member

It's been a while since I posted or responded to any posts about my Bach on bass project. I'm launching a new site for this project which I'm now calling Electric Bach. Originally, I bought the electricbach.com domain years ago for what was going to be the Electric Bach Ensemble or something like that. I was going to have a few other musicians in that and do some ensemble Bach works. I had a few people interested in playing in that at the time including the amazing Ariane Cap. I didn't really pursue that though. The domain has been sitting around for years so I decided to use it for a new version of my Bach on bass web site. The old one is at http://www.jsbach.net/.

So, please check out my new Bach page at http://www.electricbach.com/ if you're into that kind of stuff. There are a bunch of videos and a few audio files there now (more audio files at my old site but those are really old and not really very representative of how I play these works now). There's also a PDF of the sheet music for the Adagio from Sonata No. 1 for Solo Violin which includes 7-string bass tablature.

Click on the Facebook link there if you want to find my Electric Bach Facebook page.

I'm hoping that there's enough interest in this project for me to spend the time to do new studio recordings of these works and publish the sheet music.

The site's not officially launched yet but that's kind of a meaningless milestone anyway so I'm just getting the word out now since most of the content is already there. Mostly videos from various Solo Bass Night shows and a cafe gig I did back in 2008.

Thanks,

Dave

[​IMG]
  2. sobie18

sobie18

Very nice, Dave!
  3. Dave Grossman

Dave Grossman Supporting Member

Thanks!

I fear that my passion (no pun intended) for Bach on bass exists in an area where it is just a novelty to bass players and to Bach fans alike with a relatively small percentage of people who truly appreciate it. Millions of bass players play some Bach on bass so it's not a rarity. What I think I do differently is to play complete works and play them much the same way that classical violinists and cellists do; with accurate slurs, ornamentation and (occasionally excessive) vibrato. I'm still hoping to find an audience but having a thread about the Shaggs get more replies than this one has been disconcerting.

[​IMG] (obligatory smallest violin in the world playing just fo rme)