Electric Bass Builder Estate Sale in Hendersonville, NC

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SFI, Nov 18, 2012.

1. SFI

SFI

Hello Bass Builders

I am sad to announce that Dave Simmons, maker of Simmons Basses, passed away in September. His family is now making moves to settle the estate and they are planning to sell the contents of his shop this week.

Included in the sale; all his shop equipment, wood, pickups, tuners, partially finished basses, and likely things we have not uncovered yet. all items will be priced around 1/2 of the new retail price.

To view pictures of sale items; http://www.flickr.com/photos/89602049@N03/sets/

Days & times of sale
    Thursday 11-22-12, noon to 8:00 pm, Friday 11-22-12, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm, Saturday 11-23-12, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm

For the address and a contact phone number, please send a personal message.

Thank you for your interest. I hope to see some of you in Hendersonville.

Bob Smakula

2. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    What a shame. Sorry to hear it. Good luck with the sale I wish I was closer. We have property in Penrose but wont be in the area.

3. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Are those times and dates right? They are going to open from noon to 8 PM on Thanksgiving?

4. SFI

SFI

Yes the times and dates are correct. The family will be there and encourage potential instrument builders and woodworkers to come over. I will be there part of the time helping out

Bob Smakula

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SFI

SFI

Hello All,

The family just informed me that due to unforeseen circumstances, they will not have Thursday (Thanksgiving day) hours.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Bob Smakula

7. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    How did the sale go?

8. SFI

SFI

The sale was very successful. Though most of the folks that showed up were more interested in the lumber and the tools, we had a handful of folks that specifically wanted bass parts and instrument makers tools.

There are still many bass parts and partially finished basses still available. The Simmons family and I plan to take as many musical things as we can to a guitar show after the first of 2013. I will post information when we make a decision which guitar show makes sense.

Thank you all for your interest.

Bob Smakula

9. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
  10. Firesalt

Firesalt Pretty fly for a white guy. Supporting Member

Really? I'm glad it went well and was kicking myself for not being able to attend. I was interested in unfinished basses. Any way we can maybe work something out?
    PM me if so!

11. Scrollbass27

Scrollbass27

That explains a lot. I've been feverishly trying to contact Dave over the past 6 months to no avail and am very saddened at the loss :( We had spoken months back and he was going to email me a few photos of some Clippers he had available. Are they still available? If so, I'd love to own a few more and help the family out any way that I can. Please send me an email at jfazio27@gmail.com. His family is in my prayers!!

Joe

12. Bassoface

Bassoface

I met Dave at a guitar show in NJ sevral years ago. I picked up a four string fretless ebony fret board echo and had to buy it. Dave signed it for me. What a nice guy. Very sorry to hear of his passing.
    Can anyone estimate the value for me.

13. SFI

SFI

Hello All Simmons Bass fans;

I'll be bringing the last handful of bass parts to the Ohio Guitar Show in Columbus, OH this sunday (6-9-13) some unfinished bodies, a hand full of parts, and a few strung basses. All will be priced at more than 50% off retail. Plenty of things worth working on.

Thank you for your interest,

Bob Smakula

14. SFI

SFI

The Ohio Guitar show was successful with plenty of great guitars, basses, and other instruments being bought sold & traded. If you have any interest in the remaining Simmons instruments, contact Mike's Music in Cincinnati. They bought the remaining unfinished basses and parts.

Thank you all for your interest.

Bob Smakula