1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

electric / DB amp question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by frerepere, Feb 19, 2013.

1. frerepere

frerepere

so, after following many threads and post in helping select a good lightweight doubling amp, i am leaning towards the EU iamp Doubler, GB Shuttle Max 9.2, or maybe a Mesa Walkabout, basically in that order, pending what may show up locally or....

seems maybe that there are some reviews that the iamp Doubler is lacking somewhat for the electric only fans, can any of what is missing be offset / made available with a pedal or other inline effect or preamp to narrow any complaints or disappointments with it???

with the detailed reports, on both the iamp Doubler and the Shuttlemax 9.2, is the Mesa that far out in left field or does it fill in for a decent doubler amp with these other two??? 50/50 ub and eb.

am i looking in the right direction or is there something else out there in this price range, under 1K??

thanks for any considerations,

fp

2. Adagio

Adagio

I own a Doubler and I use external preamps in front of the amp for both my DB and EB so, yeah, that's definitely an option. The Doubler is packed with a bunch of cool features indeed, but I never felt in love with the sound nor the EQ points. As for which stompbox preamp you could get specifically, I think it depends on the sound you're looking for. Just sayin', in your price range you could also consider AI Clarus or Aguilar TH500 amp, depending on what would be your primary use.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

I'm very interested in the new Markbass Big Bang. It's not a two channel amplifier however. I've played through one recently and found that it's warmer sounding than the older F1 and F500's. It also has a 2 Meg Ohm input for piezo pickups. I haven't as yet tried it with a Double Bass, but it may work fine, you could certainly use a DB friendly pre into it's line in. What I will say is that it's plenty powerful. Another amp you should look at is a Tecamp Puma. From my experience with Mesa's I prefer them as a Electric Bass Amp. Just my thoughts.

Ric

4. Adagio

Adagio

The only Markbass amp that I've tested extensively is a LMIII, using my headway edb1 in front of it. The thing with those amps is that you can't bypass the preamp... but you don't need to 'cause it sounds really good anyway! The only thing you have to do is keeping the vlf-vle thingy all the way off IMO.

Ric, the Big Bang input spec is rated at 500kOhms, are you sure about that 2M? I think there a Mo'Bass module with similar specs though...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mesa

Mesa

The Mesa is a great BG amp, and I've used mine for DB. I'm not obsessive about amplified tone, but the EQ on the Walkabout gives it more flexibility than most people give it credit for. People who've heard my DB setup like the tone.

7. frerepere

frerepere

thanks for the input so far.

i am just a beginner, so every wee bit helps.
    I was actually EB jamming with an acoustic guitar the other day.
    felt good, just running some scales and having fun with a little shoebox cube amp.
    so, i just got some plywood today and am building a 12/6/1 cab, hopeful it will work out with both the DB and EB. I have found that the EB is helping me with the neck and patterns on the DB, so, I guess I will have to look for a pick up for the DB after I get the cab built and find an amp. By then, maybe that DB neck will feel like a friend and some amplification wont be such a bad idea??
    I look forward to trying some different amps, doing my homework has sorta led me to those three I mentioned. Something easy to lug around, and suitable for both DB & EB, and I cant say which will be more, but I am finding the EB easier and having a lot of fun putting it in the car with the cube amp, going to a friends house and just Jamming, way cool. I don't think it would have happened with the DB as a spur of the moment type thing.
    anyways, thanks again, and don't hesitate to fuss n cuss at me if you have any other suggestions or hints.
    maybe i am off on a wrong tangent trying to think of an amp that will be great with both. maybe a used EA iamp Micro for the DB and something else for the EB?? The EA iamp Doubler sounded like it would be really great with the mic option, and I feel the greed and need biting harshly at me, but not having heard one it is really a struggle to decide. I think i saw one of the primary venders offering new, with 30 day return. alas, was hoping for a screaming deal on a used one. they must be nice as I have not seen any on the used market.
    probably 6 - 10 weeks for the build project at my speed and schedule, so we'll see, who knows what might turn up in the mean time.
    multi gratzi, merci beaucoup! tanx maan.
    pere

8. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Hey Brother-Father -- as long as you have an amp that provides a pretty clean and reasonably flat output, I feel that you can make it sound good for DB with something like the fdeck HPF-Pre, which provides a good input impedance and a high-pass filter. Any of the EA or lightweight Genz amps will get you there; I'm actually happier with my Markbass each time I use it these days, and would share Ric's interest in the Big Bang if I could muster any amp GAS (I'm looking into ribbon mics just now in order to satisfy those cravings).

The cab is more important than the amp, I think, at least once you've satisfied a few basic requirements. What design are you building to? If it's a fEARful, you'll do just fine.

9. Ric Vice

Adagio,
    Weird, the owners manual for the Big Bang http://www.markbass.it/upload_area/files/fname/001.033_BIG_BANG_LIGHT.pdf indicates the it's input impedance is 2 Meg Ohm while the technical specs on the sight say it's 500 K. I'll have to get to the bottom of this, but I suspect that you're right since all the other amps from Markbass are set at 500K

Ric

10. Adagio

Adagio

Weird indeed, unless they've changed the specs since December 2011? That would be surprising though... Perhaps we would get the correct answer from info@markbass.it ?

11. frerepere

frerepere

yah, getting the parts together for a fF 12/6/1.
    i gotta keep reading the "dont get the SWR Black Beauty because you'll just want to get rid of it when you get the cab built".
    it's hard, $450.00 for a like new unit. I told him I probably couldn't say no to $400.00. so far I've been lucky and he's holding out. It would set my build back as thats the price of the internals.
    I just keep thinking of less than 50lbs, satisfied, or 95lbs, still looking.
    yeh, math sez be patient, build cab, look for amp. cube will hold out till then, and motivate build progress.

throw the the blind dog a bone heh????

woof woof.
    pere

12. Ric Vice

Adagio,

I contacted Markbass, and here is their answer to the input impedance of the Big Bang.

"Hi Rick,
    thanks for writing and for your interest in Markbass.

Thanks for checking that, there is a wrong data at the product page and we’re fixing it, the impedance is 2Mohm as at the manual.

Thank you once again.
    Riccardo"

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

For a lesser expensive alternative, but high quality sound, you can add either a Carvin MB-10 or MB-12 to your list.

14. Adagio

Adagio

@Ric - Good to know, a Markbass with 2M input is pretty cool! Now let's pretend they sell tons of units just because they've changed the website, you should ask for your share! :)