1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Electric humming noise and click

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bakkenbears, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bakkenbears

bakkenbears

Had my Fender 5-string mexican deluxe for about 2 months now, it has always had this strange electric humming noise whenever im not touching the strings. And when i touch the string it makes a clicking sound and the electric humming stops.

Is there some easy way to fix this, or do i have to open it up and such?

All help is very welcome :)
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

You have to open up the control plate and possibly lift the bridge. Normally there should be a stranded bare copper wire that connects the bridge to the output jack's sleeve (grounding) contact, or to the nearest pot casing, which is then connected to the same spot on the output jack. If the wire's not there, it needs to be introduced, and if it is there you need to make sure it keeps contact and is actually soldered to the proper spot on the output jack or pots.
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Does it happen everywhere? I mean is this when you are at home where ever you plug the bass into? Or everywhere?

I would check the ground on the outlet the amp is plugged into.
  4. bakkenbears

bakkenbears

My other bass doesn't have the same problem using the same amp, but the amp isn't grounded so that could be the problem..
  5. llldino

llldino

Something isn't grounded right. Open her up and check the ground connections. May not be the bridge ground.
  6. bakkenbears

bakkenbears

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Not a grounding problem at all.

The click is static electricity discharging.

Give the bass a proper shielding job the buzz and the click will both go away.
  8. bakkenbears

bakkenbears

What is the best and easiest way to do that?
    I've looked it up on Google and read some about it.
    Like this guy did?