1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Electro-Harmonix Enigma Q-Balls vs. Source Audio Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Leedleleedlele, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

I think I'm going to get one of these pedals, I don't really know what to look for though. I haven't really sound any comparisons. Which do you like better? Pros? Cons? Reasons? Features?

2. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

Subscribed... curious to know myself.

3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

I have the EHX, not played the Source. The Bass Balls is a great pedal IMO. Sounds as you'd expect, warm and fat with the ability to find the sweet spot in the Q easily. The start/stop points for the sweep are adjustable with the ability to sweep up or down. The only drawback for me is the dist. circuit which to me sounds fizzy and thin.

4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

Get the Qballs and get the Dist. trim pot modded to the outside. In LP mode with the Blend on full, the Dist control is also a volume control. The dist, which is more like fuzz, IMO, works beautifully with the filter; not thin or fizzy at all. The only time it sounds thin to me is on BP or HP if you don't have the blend set right or the dist. up enough, which is why it's best to have that control at your fingertips. The dist/filter combo gets synthy for days!

I have tried the SA BEF. It has a very unique tone, which I would describe as synthetic/elastic, and I don't mean that as a putdown. It's just different. I prefer the Qballs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I have both the enigma qballs and the source audio manta, and IMO, while the qballs is nice (and I like it a lot), the manta is a way better, more versatile, and more controllable/tweakable envelope filter.

7. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

Everytime i've heard a manta they've been playing mainly dubstep, is it good for more?

8. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, it'll do anything that any other envelope pedal can do and more. so, yes.

9. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

So does the manta have any cons over the qballs? Sounding, as FilterFunk put it,."Synthetic/elastic" I like synthy, but I don't think I'd use it that often

10. deepestend

That's the key with these kinds of pedals. There are all kinds of cool things that they can do, but what will you actually use as part of your tone palette on a regular basis?

11. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

I guess it depends on the kind of music you play

12. deepestend

13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Just to be clear. The Manta has 12 different filter sounds. It has 8 different distortion types. All of those can be mixed and matched.

We generally show off that it can sound synthy as one of many options, because those sounds are really difficult to create with one single pedal. I will let other respond to the question of whether it can cover more straight forward envelope filter tones, but I can say for certain that has always been the prime objective in our design process.

Manta is our 3rd generation BEF.

14. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I made a quick clip of the manta a little while ago with just a few settings out of the 100's that it's capable of:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  15. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

I'll go check it out johnk_10, and thanks rsmith601

16. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

I used to own the Enigma Qballs and I loved it! I've found that the use of envelope filters, for me anyways, are so song specific. Tempo changes make a huge difference on how they sound and how I want them to sound. The use of the Manta, with the Hub, makes it the perfect filter for me. I can use a different setting on each part of each song with a stomp of my midi controller. Very convenient to say the least. The built in drive can achieve some very cool results as can feeding it different fuzzes and distortions. IMHO you can't go wrong with either filter they're both great!!!

17. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

I think I'm going for the Manta... any final persuasions?

18. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

SA > EHX. 'Nuff said

19. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, that's the best decision.

20. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

+1 for the Manta. I've had a QBalls, BEF Pro and a Manta, the Manta is what I stuck with.
    And yes it's great for things other than synth/dubstep sounds; I avoid both like the plague and the Manta still is my top pick.

21. Leedleleedlele

Leedleleedlele

Thanks everyone! Time to go order!!!