Electro-Harmonix Steel Leather with other Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by devinp17, Mar 5, 2014.

1. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Hi everyone. I'm looking at getting the Electro-Harmonix Nano Steel Leather Bass Expander Pedal, and I need some help from anyone who has any experience with this pedal. So basically what I want to know is: How does it sound with other pedals after it? I like the sound of Chorus pedals, but I'm a finger-style player and when I tried a Chorus pedal at the music store; it sounded all muffled and not very pronounced, so I decided that there was no point in getting it because I couldn't hear the chorus effect. So, if I get the Steel Leather, will it make a Chorus Pedal sound clearer, or more pronounced? So I can actually hear the Chorus Effect even while playing finger-style?
    Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Choruses in general have a smooth, ambient sound that is not easy to hear in a busy mix or a noisy music store.

Edit: deleted bit about Steel Leather because I was thinking of a different pedal. Oops!

3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Bongo, don't you mean a spike in the high frequencies? Or is the pedal designed backwards such that increasing the "effect" knob is actually increasing the threshold, creating the illusion of boosted highs when the signal is adjusted up to unity gain?

Either way, I've been running it at the end of my treble chain, and while I don't think it particularly changed the sound of my chorus, it definitely put some more bite into my overdrive.

My next experiment will be to run it at the start of the chain to see how that changes the voicing of other effects.

4. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Cool! Let me know how it turns out :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I liked it better at the end of the chain. It made the overdrive too harsh to put it first, although it may have brought the chorus out a little more? Not enough for me to lose sleep over.

I should also mention that honestly this might be the weakest link in my pedal chain. It's pretty hard to dial in a workable tone - I can't imagine ever turning the effect knob past 9 o'clock. And while it brings out a lot of character in some pedals (like my OD) it makes others almost unusable (I had to reign my wah's range waaay back).

I actually wish that I could find a subtler version of this pedal, or could mod it so that the effect knob had finer control in the 7 to 8 o'clock range, i.e. between off and just barely on.

When it's set right though, it's tasty.