Electro-Voice Force 15" speaker???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rolloman, Mar 24, 2014.

1. rolloman

rolloman

Friend gave me cab with a Electro-Voice Force 15 speaker in it. Is this a decent bass speaker, and what is the average used value of it be? Would really appreciate any responses. Thank you.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This driver?

Might sound fine at low volumes, but isnt going to have much gas in the tank for bass use.
  3. rolloman

rolloman

Yes that's the one. I don't play bass. Looks like it is ok for guitar too.
  4. MIMike

MIMike

I had one of those in a extension cab for my old GK MB200. It was 8ohm and rated at 150 watts. It will sound fine as an extension cab or for lower volume/lower power situation.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rolloman

rolloman

Thanks to ya's. I'll give it a try.
  7. INTP

INTP

I've had one of those in a smaller sealed cabinet for about 25 years. It has a modest but adequate low end while still having a decent upper range. I use it as portable speaker to go with my GK MB-150S (head only). It also sounds great as a keyboard amp. As noted already, it only handles 150 watts, but it's very efficient so it does get decently loud.

I don't know what it would be worth--probably not much. I have no interest in selling mine, however. I really like the tone.
  8. deeptubes

deeptubes

When I was a teenager 25 years ago, I had one in a ported cab that was being fed from a 150w Gorilla combo. Served its purpose and sounded much better than the Gorilla speaker. No idea what it would sound like compared to what I've got now.
  9. rolloman

rolloman

I'm using Celestion G12M Greenback with a Blackstar HT-1R 1watt tube amp. I really just had that Force 15 laying around and forgot about it. I'll probably just hook it up to see that it works and the sound then sell it. Not much out there that is gonna sound much better for a bedroom blaster than what I'm using.
  10. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

I was the product manager for Electro Voice when that product was made (it was discontinued in 1997). Force was a general purpose speaker and it wasn't optimized for bass guitar although it can do a decent job in the right enclosure tuned properly.
  11. rolloman

rolloman

The one I have is in a Peavey Amplifier Cabinet, so they must have been pretty nice speakers for Peavey to use them.
  12. alecduncan

alecduncan

I have a pair of EV Force 12" in my odd old Peavey cabinet, and I actually really love the sound of it! Extremely efficient and clear, and coupled with my Marshall DBS head with ridiculous headroom it's definitely good match! I had a ton of trouble finding any trace of info on the EV Force series beyond that some guitarists used them - I haven't seen much info on their use for bass or PA

[​IMG]
  13. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I like the force 12 lots too, while it won't take loads of power, it reminds me a heck of a lot of the highly sought after discontinued EVM12S short basket driver fitted in the early Mesa MKII combo.
    It appears to use the same short chassis but with a much lighter magnet and cone/voice coil assembly than the S.
    X Max on the force is the same as the EVM12L and EVM12S variant at 3.3mm
    so displacement limited power is not to shoddy at all.:bassist:
    PS Power handling aside its tonally one of the better sounding guitar/bass speakers out there still.
    Like the Altec 417 and ubiquitous JBL D120f it's going to well deserve trying a decent ribbon mic on it in any decent studio.
  14. alecduncan

alecduncan

150W RMS is what I've found in this old manual:

www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=971768‎

With it's honest efficiency it's pretty decent for my purposes and like mentioned it's been great for recording. I'm currently doing about a 75/25 split between mic and DI.