1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Electromyography

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sneha1965, Dec 6, 2012.

1. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

Has anyone here every had it? Just looking to know what to expect.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

From wiki:

3. sneha1965

I have read that and it does not sound fun. Hopefully someone who has had this procedure will chime in. I'd be curious to know on the 1-10 scale of how uncomfortable this is.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Yeah, sorry I couldnt give you more info. Having never had one I wouldnt know how uncomfortable it is. Good luck, sneha!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sneha1965

Thanks man, it's definitely not something I'm looking forward to.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

what happened ? why do you need this ?

8. sneha1965

I injured my back. I have a herniated disc on the right side but all of the pain is on the left side of my body.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Subluxation? The disc may have moved to the damaged side and is pinching the nerves on the left.

Good luck- how bad is the damage?

10. sneha1965

I've been in PT for the past two months and have regained the ability to walk without limping and I am able to walk up stairs again. Nice to have that back since I have stairs where I live. However, I still have pain and need meds to get through the day. For the most part they help but it is not like being 100%. My goal is to have reduced the pain enough to travel for the holidays.

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

I have 2 myself. sucks sometimes. Is this considered diagnostic, or treatment ? Let us know how you make out. I see the ortho tomorrow myself. I fear I may have torn a tricep in the gym this week. Good luck with your procedure.

12. sneha1965

Thank you and good luck with yours as well.

At this point they are still trying to diagnose.

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've had it done. It wasn't horrible but it did suck. Think happy thoughts. It's over pretty quick. Probably a 7 on the pain scale.

14. sneha1965

How deep did they put the needles in?

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    About a half inch. It's a very thin needle.

16. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Have they MRIed you yet? That was what allowed me to have surgery to repair a blown L4/L5 disc. I was bent over for a year with searing pain in my left leg from an impinged S1 nerve because the first MRI was inconclusive and the first surgeon I went to decided I should wait for twelve months to see if it would repair itself. PT, acupuncture, chiro, cupping, I did it all. After my second MRI a different neurologist took one look and asked me when I'd be available for surgery. I still get spasms and have to be careful, but it gave me a completely new lease on life.

Anyhow, the needles aren't pleasant but they're certainly not intolerable. Depending on your tolerance for pain it can vary from a 3 or 4 out of 10 or maaaaybe up to a 6.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    I'm done with MRIs. I've had a fusion done at L5/S1, and they botched it, leaving me in constant pain.

After the botched fusion, they did acupuncture, which now when the pain is at it's worst I can still feel every needle.

After acupuncture proved pointless, they implanted a Spinal Cord Stimulator. I've had nothing but problems with it since it was implanted. I'm having surgery on January 16th to remove it.

After the stim is removed, the plan is to look closer at the discs above the first fusion. The new surgeon I'm seeing (a total fiasco caused me to change doctors) thinks that I've blown out two more discs above the original fusion.

My daily diet consists of high levels of OxyContin and Gabapentin, along with some extra help from Mother Nature.

18. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. They didn't fuse me, they did a laparectomy (sp?) and essentially burned away the part of the disc that was impinging the nerve. I lost a bit of the disc and a tiny part of the vertebra but when I woke up my leg didn't hurt anymore.

19. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    I thought they had fixed the problem at first, but when I came off the pain meds from the surgery, the pain returned so bad that most days I can't even walk.
    Hopefully this new group will find the real problem and fix it.

20. sneha1965

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope there is some way to get you back to we're yoy're not living in pain 24/7.

21. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Thanks. I've already been told to expect to always be on some form of pain med. the damage done by the first fusion caused some permanent nerve damage. They've already told me that any relief is success, but don't expect to ever be pain free.

Back on topic, the test is big deal. If they say discogram, however, frickin RUN!