1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Electronic Drums

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by skidmarkbass, Dec 31, 2013.

1. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

I'm looking to get a cheap ($500) electronic drum kit for my studio for, so that I can invite a drummer over for rehearsal (with volume control) or quick recording. Can anyone recommend a decent brand. I know nothing about them. Thanks
  2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

3. BadBassDrummer

BadBassDrummer

I would look for a used Roland or Yamaha set in your price range.
  4. hbarcat

hbarcat Gold Supporting Member

This.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

6. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Another for this. As a drummer, there's not any of the new $500ish e-kits out there that I'd really want to bother with or even consider good enough that I wouldn't just bring mine instead.

With that, I'm not sure what you're going to find even used in the $500 range. My brother has an Alesis DM10 kit that's ok but the Alesis stuff doesn't quite trigger like the Roland and Yamaha kits do - especially the kits that don't use those terrible rubber pads.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

8. BadBassDrummer

BadBassDrummer

Putting on my drummer's hat, I have to agree with TxLawDawg on the inexpensive new kits. The worst thing about them is the crummy pedals that are included for hi-hat and bass triggers. I own a Roland TD-15k and wish I had stepped up and used a high hat/trigger that used a real high hat stand and pedal. I realize that this is way out of the price range new, but I would really search for a used kit that at least used real bass drum pedal. I think most drummers would prefer to bring their own pedal and the pedals that are built in to the cheap sets are horrible.
  9. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

I own the Alesis DM6 . Have to agree with whats been said before. I got it used for $125 so it was a steal but immediately bought a real bass kick. And an extra cymbol to add a ride. Problem is I bought it for myself to jam and learn. Encountered what TxLawDawg said, when my drummer came over he felt it ok and could pull of a jam, but didnt feel real enough so he ended up bringing his own kit instead next time. For my personal use I love it though. Learning and jamming just fine.
  10. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

I bought a used Pintech set a few years back with all mesh heads. Had to replace the hi hat and kick drum triggers,but it worked out real well. Pintech are/were built under license from Roland.