1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Electronics in a 94 SS1?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by DanGouge, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

I recently picked up a used Warwick Streamer Stage 1, by the serial number, it's a 1994 model. You can see a pic in this thread. What I was wondering was whether the current electronics in this bass - 18v system with EMG pickups - would have ever been the stock electronics in such a bass. I know that Warwicks have MEC pickups pretty much by default, but I also know that Warwick has, from time to time, used other pickups as options. Any idea if this was factory setup, or whether someone swapped this out aftermarket?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

There is a place on the Warwick website to input serial numbers to get info like that. I'm not sure if their reference will go all the way back to 94 though I know it doesn't go back to the beginning. That aside what kind of preamp is it? Can you check the solders usually when someone does aftermarket work you can tell by the solders? Them look like some old EMGs my bet is yes it came like that but you can most times tell by the handy work inside.

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Looked at that original post and you got an awesome deal that should have been well over a grand and I can tell you I have a set of new MEC P pickups and they are completely different in size they would never fit in that route so I am guessing those were original but not 100% sure.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

I will post some pics of the control cavity when I get a chance, it does look like a known MEC pre from another 1990s SS1 I saw online.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DanGouge

DanGouge

So this is what the electronics look like... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387164224.341621.jpg

7. Don Johnson

Don Johnson

Warwicks came with all sorts of pick ups in 94. I remember playing quite a few warwicks in the early to mid 90's, and I usually saw emg's seymour duncans, and bartolini's in them. If I remember correctly the mec's started becoming more standard mid to late 90's and beyond. I bet the emg's were standard, and I bet that is one sweet bass!

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

I actually emailed Warwick and they replied already saying that the EMGs were original on my bass (based on the serial # and photos that I sent them).