1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Electronics overhaul on SX P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassman316, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Bassman316

Bassman316

Hey guys and gals

After about six months of not playing as much as normal, I feel like I've been bitten by the music bug all over again and it seems like despite being a full time worker and student, I always have a bass in my hands- not that I'm complaining! :D Been visiting the boards here again and getting back into the groove, if you will...

Anyhoo, I've been thinking of doing some upgrades on my old SX P-bass. It's a good bass for what it is, but for the longest time, the volume and tone pots have been pretty scratchy when adjusting. I'd also like to upgrade the pickup- not that the stock one is absolutely horrible, but it's also not the greatest. I know that I can get closer to the timeless and loved P-bass mid-range growl and I'm sure upgrading the electronics will get me closer.

The only things I've ever changed on any of my instruments are strings, tuners, and a nut- never pickups, pots, caps, etc.

I know that there are a lot of folks here who have upgraded SX basses since they have a rep for being a great mod platform. For those who've upgraded SX P-basses, do you have any pickup suggestions? One of the big name pickups that comes to mind is the Quarter Pounder SPB-3, and I've been leaning toward that, if anything, because they're evidently so popular.

Also, I did some research a while back on pots and caps. As I understand, these can have a great effect on the tone of a bass. Some caps result in a darker, woodier sound, and some are brighter. Some pots are liner and some are audio taper. Kinda lost here. Any pointers would be great!!

If anyone here could kindly point me to a thread if there is one explaining all this, or if you have any advice or suggestions on what I should get, I'd be very appreciative. At the end of the day, I just want to get as close to the classic Fender P-bass sound as I can- rather dark, woody, with that mid-range bark/growl that's made it known world over.

Thanks
    Brian

EDIT: I did find a great thread on differences between 250K and 500K pots, audio taper vs. linear. And only a handful of threads down the first page at that! But if anyone still felt like offering up some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.