Electronics Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LightForce104, Mar 30, 2014.

1. LightForce104

LightForce104

Howdy y'all.

So, I plan on upgrading the pickups in my bass, and possibly adding a preamp. My bass is a Squier Shortscale Jaguar, which has a P/J configuration. I play songs by Nirvana, the Foo Fighters, America, the Beatles, Two Door Cinema Club, and the list goes on and on.

I have no experience with electronics whatsoever, and I don't want to break the bank. What do you suggest I do?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well there are a lot of pickups and pres on the market, but in that one, I doubt I'd go with a preamp. I'd just stay passive as it's cheaper and still sounds great. One thing you want, IMHO, is a humbucking J pickup. The single coil pickup in it now will pick up hum from outside sources. Also might be a good idea to get a J pickup that's a little hotter so you don't such a big volume imbalance as you likely have now.

Like I said, there are a ton of different pickups and I'm sure everyone will now list their favorites, and you should check them all out. But I'll suggest the EMG Geezer Butler PJ set. The J is humbucking and designed to work better with a P pickup, and they sound flat out amazing, way better than any other passives I've tried (haven't tried them all, but I've tried quite a few out).

3. LightForce104

LightForce104

Okay, so no preamp, then. Any other suggestions?

4. LightForce104

LightForce104

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nope, the Geezer set is pretty much it ;)

BTW, feel free to take or leave my advice regarding a preamp. There are some who love their onboard pres with passives. Love them with actives but not my thing with passives, and they will add some cost, sometimes considerable cost.

7. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

JimmyM has got it right on. However this has been discussed at length in the Squier Jaguar short scale club part 3 (and part 1 and 2)
    And one of the most popular pickup upgrades is actually the dimarzio model p and j set.
    There are actually a ton of upgrades available for this bass and all have been discussed nearly to death lol in the club I mentioned.

I personally put a set of passive MEC P/J pickups in mine and it made it a tonal monster! :D

8. LightForce104

LightForce104

Hot damn. Listened to sound clips, and I'm really digging the Geezers. Plus, it comes with a wiring kit, something I desperately need. Thank you very much.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Were those my clips or Geezer's on Youtube? Yeah, I believe you will really dig them in your Jag. They have a lot of grunt and sound great with overdrive.

10. LightForce104

LightForce104

They were Geezer's on youtube, but I'd love to hear yours.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Say no more! I recorded these so I was able to compare them to the pickups that were in my two Precisions. First is a Fender 62 Original from last year vs the Geezer using rounds, then a 62 Custom Shop from around 2001 vs the Geezer using flats. 3 of the 4 samples I played were recorded clean, but I threw a little "War Pigs" in at the end with some overdrive:

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  12. LightForce104

LightForce104

Excellent. I'll put those pickups in my cart right away.