1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Electronics ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by redboy1975, Jan 10, 2014.

1. redboy1975

redboy1975

Ok , I'm finished with all the wood work on the bass I'm building and it's time for the electrical part . So here are some questions . I was going to use a single Bourne 500K volume and tone polymer premium pots but the come in blue and black , what's with the color difference ? What's the difference between linear and audio taper ? Can you use the polymer premium pots like regular pots ? Are the Bourne polymer premium better than the CTS polymer pots ? That's about it , thanks !
  2. line6man

line6man

I don't see any 500k pots with black casings on the Bourns Pro Audio website. Which model numbers were you looking at?

The taper of a pot is very important, but no one seems to agree on which works best for volume, so you should do your research on this.

"Polymer Premium Pots" sounds like a marketing gimmick to me, for this application, but if you want to pay that much, go for it. The main things that matter with pots in this application are taper, and the smoothness and rotational inertia when rotating the shaft.
  3. line6man

line6man

I read a bit further into it. Apparently the website leads you to believe that the 95 series is available in 25k and 50k, when it is actually available in many resistances. The 82 series, by contrast, is only available in 250k and 500k.

The 82 series has a tighter tolerance than the 95 series. 10% versus 20%. I would go for the 82 series, for this reason.
  4. redboy1975

redboy1975

So do you really think it would make a difference premium vs regular ? I'm not so sure it is going to make a difference but I want the best pots they make and I thought that was them. I'll research more on the linear vs audio taper thing I was hoping someone could just break it down for me . I'm an electrical ****** so all that tech talk just starts sounding like another language after a while . Thanks for the help !
  5. line6man

line6man

If you look on the 95 spec sheet, there is a graph of the audio and linear tapers, expressing resistance as a function of the percentage of rotation. Audio taper follows a logarithmic curve, while linear is linear. This affects the way in which you will perceive changes in volume and tone when you rotate the pots.

Traditionally, volume and tone pots on instruments have always been audio taper. It is the opinion of many, however, that linear taper volume pots work better, as the goal is not to do volume fades, but rather, to blend pickup signals. A typical problem inherent to audio taper pots is a steep dropoff in volume very close to the end of the rotation. This is not an issue with linear taper pots, as the resistance is spread out evenly. Again, however, it's heavily debated, so you might want to try both.

For tone controls, it is almost always desirable to use audio taper pots. This is because ideal behavior is to have a very high resistance at the end of the rotation, while spreading out a much lower range of resistance throughout the rest of the sweep. Linear taper tone pots don't tend to have any audible effect until they are rolled down considerably, and then often squash the range of control into a small portion of the rotation.