1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Elixir Nanowebs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassistForJesus, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

If you want bright, 6 months-12 months of string life, I cannot think of another manufacture that comes close to the Elixir Nanoweb.

2. zazz

zazz

So far so good!

3. Root 5

Root 5

Yep, they're good strings! I also really like their acoustic guitar strings.

4. phat5

phat5 On the verge of a nervous breakthrough Supporting Member

Put a set on my 55-02 last month. I really like these strings! Sounds great through my Avalon U5/FOH/iem's. Brings a smile to my face.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Tried another brand for fun. Elixirs will be the only brand I buy from here on out

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Same here. I don't like the twangy sound of really fresh strings and elixirs don't sound so bright from the beginning. I've played Fenders, D'addarios, Earny Balls and Warwicks ... my fretless still has Fender tapewounds, all my other basses are strung with elixirs.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

I've had the Nano's on my SR505 for about a year now and they're about due for a change. Yep, I'd say I got my money's worth from them!

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'll have to check these out

10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I never liked coated strings, but my only experience with them is DR black beauties. Are these drastically different? The DR's felt sticky and burned my fingers from sliding up and down the neck.

11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I have Elixirs on my fretless and they don't feel anything like your description of the DR's. The nanoweb coating feels really slick to me, in fact some people find it too slippery but not me, it's just the kind of feel I want for fretless.

In fact, they seem more gentle on the fingerboard too, so they're just about the perfect fretless string for me.

I prefer a brighter sound on my fretted basses so I might try some of their 'new' stainless sets since the Pro-Steels that I have on my sixer seem just about dead

12. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

If you purchase Elixir Nanowebs you will never be satisfied with any other strings. I guarantee it!

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I don't like them, what do I get???

14. Wesley R

Wesley R

I have always detested round wounds. My girlfrien recently bought me an Ibanez SR500PB that came with Elixers (I would assume nano-web), and I found them to be pretty decent.

15. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Been using them since 2007. Don't use anything else. Every bass I own has them except one,which is strung with flats.

16. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Been using them for some time as well. No stick to the fingers - quite the opposite. With a new set my fingers almost slide off. As they age, to my ears, they lose a little bit of the middle, rather than the brights like most strings.

Very smooth sounding strings. Not as clanky as roto rooters, for example. Not quite as harsh a sound as the D'Adarrios that came with my Roscoe.

17. toughluxury2010

toughluxury2010

More than the long life is the consistent sound throughout their life and the feel on your fingers, though I guess this is more a personal choice

Attached Files:

18. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

They come stock on Ibanez, and are beautiful sounding strings. They last about 50% longer than non-coated rounds. I've got some on my SR5 that are about 5 months used, and still sounding good.

19. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Just put some on my new DJ5 and boy is the sound amazing. Hefty price but when you do price divided by length of life, it comes out to price of other well known brands or surpasses.

20. war_wick

war_wick

Elixir of life! Nothing else for me

21. Fenwick

Fenwick

Nanowebs are a superior product in all respects. Hard to find anything else satisfactory after them.