1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

elixir set for 6 string bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jd-ns, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jd-ns

jd-ns

I came across these on ebay... but I do not believe Elixir sells a single packaged set of strings for 6 string... I think you have to buy the extra strings separately (...well at least that what it looks like on their website and what I have to do at the store every time I buy a 6 string set!)

? ? ? ? ?

Attached Files:

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    They may have prepackaged them like that a while ago...

3. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Yeah, I've never been able to find in a full 6 set and have been getting frustrated with it lately. I'm thinking of just switching to Circle K strings for the 6-er. I've heard good things about Circle Ks but never used them, anyone have any thoughts comparing them to Elixirs? I love the options that Circle K has.

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Elixir won't sell 6 string bass sets because they hate my money. True fact.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jason1980's

jason1980's

They used to sell full 6 string sets in only 1 package but went to the 4 string + 5th and 6th strings about 2 years or so ago.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

Just strung up my sixer with a balanced set of Circle K's (.136 low B to .29 C) and it is by far the best set of strings I've ever had. The low B has such clarity and the tension on it is evenly matched with the rest of the set. No floppy B and I can even dig into it without it clanking against the frets. And that's on my 34" scale bass no less.

Killer strings and fast shipping. Standard shipping got me my strings fast. I ordered on Saturday and Post Office was closed Sun/Mon (MLK day) and I still got my strings on Tuesday. From Washington to Wisconsin!

I'm still shaking my head over how great these strings feel, play and sound. Give them a try. Be aware the low B and E strings are tapered.

8. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Thanks Sundogue, that's exactly what I'm looking for. It's a relief to hear anyone say that they actually like the B string on a 34" scale. I'll definitely be ordering a set soon then, might as well order a custom drop tuned set for my 5-er too then.

9. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Oh, FWIW I can still find Elixir 5 string sets in brick and mortar stores here in NM. Or at least I could a couple months ago.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Elixir does have a pre-packaged 5 string set. For the Nickel Plated Steel versions they only have a 45-130 option (not tapered). For Stainless they have a 45-125 and 45-130 option.

Newer packaged Elixir string sets have a sticker on them that say

Nickel: "New! Enhanced Tone = More Natural Feel - More Durable"

Stainless: "New! Stainless Steel = Bright stainless tone - Easy on your fingers"

(Elixir seems to change their formula a lot).

11. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I asked the good ole Slapinfunk about those Elixirs... they may be my next move on my Bongo HH5 although I am contemplating the Dean Markley Helix nickles or plain ole Slinkies too.

OP- Screw those !

12. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

You know what, I recently tried Circle Ks and they were phenomenal. You can get sets of anything you could dream up. The strings feel great and they sound stellar, check those out if you're not happy with what you've got.