Elixir Stainless Steel Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by triplelutz, Aug 20, 2012.

1. triplelutz

triplelutz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: AGUILAR AMPS, DUNLOP, EVIDENCE, LEJ BASSES
    Hey Y'all-

I've been using Elixirs for about a decade now... Love them. I use them on all my basses... Fenders, Low End Basses and my Lakland Fretless. I love Nickel Strings and have never really been a fan on Steel.... on any bass.

There have been a few times over the years where I did need a brighter sound in the studio... I always hesitated, then threw on some DR Hi-Beams or some Blue Steels... they sounded great but were dead after the session... (My hands sweat a bunch and kill strings, except Elixirs :)

Elixir recently sent me their new Stainless Steel string and I immediately threw them on my 78 Jazz for a session. They are the perfect answer for those Elixir lovers who need a little more brightness... AND they stay that way for a while! :hyper:

Once again, Elixir has done a great job of meeting the needs of players like me... A great feeling and sounding string that lasts... I need nothing more.

Thanks Elixir!

Dan

2. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

Have u heard of DR dragon skins? this guy says they're basically hi beams with the coating on

3. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Elixir makes SS rounds? I'll have to check them out.

I've always thought that Elixir nano's are some of the most beautiful sounding strings.

4. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    Yea- in in a session right now using them and they're just sounding incredible!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CElton

CElton Supporting Member

Elixir nickels on my SR5 and SS on my 55-02. Perfect!

7. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    Yep- I bet that sounds great!

8. CElton

CElton Supporting Member

For those that haven't tried Elixirs in a while, you should consider giving them a try out. I've used them for a few years and they've made some great improvements recently. In particular, how they feel. Much closer to an uncoated string than in the past.

9. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    Agreed- I love how smooth they feel. There's nothing sticky about them...something I hate in other strings. Even in humid conditions, Elixirs stay smooth, in tune, and bright.

I do have sweaty hands so the elixirs are so perfect for me. One set lasts me at least two months of fairly regular playing ( I do have 6 basses in rotation )

Dan

10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Some of the people here don't like the feel of the nano's, but I sure do ... very slick & easy on the fingers ... not slimy at all.

I just checked bassstringsonline, and they have them (4string) for $35. I usually get D'Add Prosteels ($14)(which are my personal fave), but I'm going to try a set anyway ..... they had better last twice as long!

11. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    The Elixirs are the best feeling string IMO. and yes, I'd gladly pay $35-45 for a set knowing it'll last me literally 4 or 5 times longer then another set.

12. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    Update: still loving the tone, feel and longevity of these Elixir Steels! Lasting me 3-4xs longer then most stainless steel and still sound as new as the first day... Y'all need to check these out!

13. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    Bumping this thread because we're now on new servers and I'm still diggin the heck outta these Elixir Steels! Whoa!

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You should try the DragonSkins :)

15. Mike M.

Mike M.

Last night I put a set of the Elixir Nanoweb's on my 2011 Fender American Standard 5 string Jazz bass for the first time. I was going to put them on onother bass but seeing how I needed a string change I thought why not?

Very alive sounding and man, do they ever feel nice! I like that slick feeling to them. I had a set of DR Nickel Lo Riders on before and the tension seems to feel pretty equal except for the low B string. Don't know for sure how much differance this makes with the tension, but the DR's were installed thru the body (as I've always done) and I top loaded the Eilixers. Part reason why I top loaded is because the taper length on the low B wasn't long enough going thru the body (about 1/4" short) but again, I'm not sure if this is why it seems a bit looser or not. But I've got a fairly "direct" was of playing with my fingertips a bit before the bridge pickup and as long as I don't dig in too much it's not so bad. Maybe next time I'll try a full core low B thru the body and see if it makes a differance with the tension.

But all and all (after one night) I like what I'm hearing. They've got a great clarity and this bass needs that. Of the few Jazz basses I own this one is by far the darkest sounding one...and it's got a maple fretboard....but it's dark in a good way and for me that works quite well.

Triplelutz, seeing how my Jazz bass is dark sounding and based on what you've said about the SS Elixers I may give them a try next time around. But I'm going to work with these Nanowebs for a while. I believe these Nano's are nickel plated steel? All in all very nice.

16. jimc

jimc Supporting Member

I'm a long time Elixir user but recently got a set of Dragon Skins to try. Used them on a couple of rehearsals, they sounded good but they feel 'sticky' just like when I've tried the black beauties before, the Elixirs are going back on!

17. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    Yes!! Glad u dug them. I think those Steel Elixirs will really make u smile. They aren't super bright, but will certainly sound brighter then those nickels.

But what I enjoy most about Elixir is how long they last- I do gigs at least 3-5 times a week and they last me months... 2 or 3 months. So cool!

Enjoy!

18. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    Yea- that smooth feel of the Elixirs is totally addictive.

19. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Some people are searching for the "Roto" sound, but want something that last longer, and that is usually where Elixir enters the conversation. I haven't seen the Rotosound Nexus coated string discussed much. Anyone have any experience with these?

20. triplelutz

Disclosures:
    I haven't tried those strings, but to be honest, I'm so happy with Elixirs, that I really don't need to try.... the other coated strings I've messed with feel sticky.... Elixirs are so SMOOTH and clean feeling!

21. jg42

jg42

got them earlier this week, but haven't tried yet.