1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ellie Goulding bass sound

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jorgensen2004, Jan 17, 2014.

1. jorgensen2004

jorgensen2004

Hi there.

I found this song with Ellie Goulding called ´Light´ and I really like to tone and all over sound of the bass in verse.
    This is properly made in a big studio, but I was wondering if someone with a sharp ear can hear how this is recorded. My guess is that it's recorded with a p-bass (pick) and compressed hard, but I'm not sure at all.
    You think this kinda sound would be able to achieve (get close) without micing up a cabinet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NKUpo_xKyQ
    00:10

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

I think you'd have better luck with experimenting with your hands technique than searching for a particular bass or gear or engineering technique.

That being said, if I were to try to emulate this tone (and I only gave the vid a cursory listen) I would favor the neck pup and try to play light and fluid with my right hand. Maybe flat strings or roll the tone knob back a bit to lock it in.

The more you can get from your hands the less you need to rely on other things.

Hope that helps.

3. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

It is pretty standard bass sound. It sounds like a Jazz full on to me running direct.

It is very plain jane because the producer wanted it to counter point the synth bass of the chorus. This technique is used quite often in Jamtronica acts to give the organic feel until the track evolves into something more electronic....

On a side not. I love Ellie's voice, but chick is NOT hot haha.

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

In a guess, I'd say a Precision with a brighter flat like a D'Addario Chrome, played with a medium gauge pick would get you almost exactly there.

On a side note, I'm an Ellie fan. I thought Halcyon Days was a really good album and I love her voice too, but (although my fiance would agree with you), I'm going to have to disagree with you, Floridabwoy.

Yep. I kind of have a sizable crush on her.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Oh, and agreed it's probably more of a direct signal with EQ and compression adjustments made on the track.

7. leegreenman

leegreenman

It's a cool pop tune. I agree with those who say it's a fairly standard sounding tone though.

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

This may break your heart, but she got married this past weekend. There's a few pics on her Instagram.

Now, for a rad Ellie Goulding (synth) bass sound, check out This Love Will Be Your Downfall from the 2010 iTunes festival. I'm pretty sure it's a synth, but it sounds great anyways. Actually, all the songs from the 2010 iTunes festival album have a great synth bass. Really buzzy and grindy.

Great voice too. She also said today on Instagram she'll have a new song out for Divergent which comes out March 21.