Elm Body and Filler Primer etc.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Digitalheadless, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Digitalheadless

Digitalheadless

Can anyone tell me if I need to use a sanding sealer before I use filler primer on a elm bass body. Ihave the primer, the nitro solid colour laquer and clear waiting to go on but not sure if I can go straight to pri.er or not.

If I need a sesler can I use a couple of coats of clear laquer for this?

Any input would be thankfully received.

Ta

Neil :confused:

2. Bass Battalion

Bass Battalion

Nitro chips off after a while, make an oil finish instead (handrubbed), use Beeswax on top about every 6 months .... You will appreciate the colour tone for years to come

oil will also make it shine beyond any nitro

Cheers

3. Bass Battalion

Bass Battalion

4. Bass Battalion

Bass Battalion

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass Battalion

Bass Battalion

7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If memory serves, elm features a coarse grain and rather open pores, so I'd use a sanding sealer first.

8. Beej

Beej

Filler primer is usually a little too porous to provide good sealing of the wood below. The porosity is great for adhesion of paint coats, but not so great to guarantee a good sealcoat. You can use clear lacquer as a sanding sealer if you want, but I'd always recommend a test piece to ensure compatibility before doing the real deal...

9. Digitalheadless

Digitalheadless

Thanks guys. After talking to a furniture ristorer yesterday, he said it would be ok, but..... Today before I got all your posts I applied two coats of filler primer, now need to rub back and fill some inperfections the I couldnt feel or see beforehand. I considered using a coat of clear first but on his advice I've just used a third of a tin of primer.
    What do you think of a rub back fill where requied and a coat of clear then primer (both of which are same manufacture and claim compatablaty) then continue on as planned. The finish isn't to bad apart from showing the slight imperfections. I did consider oil as a finish but the wood had what appeared tobe a damp mark in it that I couldnt remove, solid colour appeared the best choice.
    Thanks again
    Neil :)