1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Elton John's bassists

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by btrag, Feb 7, 2014.

1. btrag

btrag

I'm hoping to get a nice list going. I've always been impressed with the bass work on Tumbleweed Connection. Wikipedia tells me that it was handled by both Dee Murray and Herbie Flowers. It seems like they were really allowed to let loose and open-up their playing, unlike anything I've heard from later E.J.

Are there any other EJ albums/tunes that have these sort of basslines? Think along the lines of "Burn Down the Mission".
  2. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Dave Glover also played bass on Tumbleweed. All the early 70's work of Elton's has some very fine basswork. IMHO
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman

Tumbleweed Connection
    Madman Across the Water
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

These three really stand out, (all three Dee Murray?) but pretty much everything he did in the seventies was pretty fantastic.
  4. jerry

Madman had David Glover and Herbie Flowers too. Dee was only on one song. Elton didn't really get to use his road band on the earliest stuff except the live 11/17/70 album that just kills.
  5. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

I think Dee Murray is one extremely underrated bass player.
  6. jerry

big +1!
  7. electracoyote

electracoyote

Kenny Passarelli played on a couple, Blue Moves and Rock of the Westies I think. He's a long-time favorite of mine, back to his work with Joe Walsh and Dan Fogelberg.
  8. jerry

I've always dug Kenny's playing too, there was a reason these guys were in demand.
  9. pfox14

pfox14

I think it was Dee Murray that played that awesome bass line on "Rocketman".
  10. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

+1 on Dee being underrated... anyone know his exact setup? I know he used a Jazz, and I can't help but peg the tone as tapes and a pick.
  11. electracoyote

electracoyote

For the classic recordings, I'm fairly certain it was a Fender Jazz with a pick, probably through a tube amp for a bit of warmth, and it seems there was sometimes a bit of reverb on there (or maybe on the entire rhythm section). I haven't read anything definitive about strings, although many have suggested flats, which kind of makes sense.

Maybe iamthebassman will weigh in on this thread, he's a big Dee fan and usually has some insight.
  12. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

Def listen to the 11-17-70 live album, Dee Murray does some bass schooling. It's easy to hear the bass lines too, just bass, drums and piano, especially on the newer remastered versions.
  13. garp

garp

Tumbleweed Connection is a terrific album. I became aware of it only after watching Sidney Lumet’s “Dog Day Afternoon” (1975) for the first time. The only music in the entire movie is underneath the film’s opening sequence, and it’s Elton John’s “Amoreena.”

While not in the same style as Tumbleweed Connection, the bassline from “Philadelphia Freedom” makes for some great study. It’s one of the first lines I was absolutely determined to learn — wearing out an old audio cassette in the process.
  14. Pentatonic

Pentatonic

Dee Murray is awesome. I had the good fortune of seeing Elton John with his original band sometime in the early 90s? The show was more or less one hit after another and Murray and Nigel were cooking night long.
  15. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

And Flatwound strings. You can't get that tone otherwise.
  16. jerry

I remember seeing it at the theater when it came out, still one of my favorite opening sequences ever, you could just feel it was going to be a great movie.
    I loved Sidney Lumet's work!
  17. portpc

portpc

I got into my car after a crazy day of work yesterday, put on the radio & "Saturday Nights All Right for Fighting" started right up.

That is one of the songs that got me hooked on the bass way back when..

DM has such a great combination of tone, energy & stellar playing on it.. The whole band does!

It's a perfect example of high energy rock with great vocal & instrumental phrasing...

& I felt so much better after hearing it!
  18. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Dee also used a G&L L1000 for many recordings and a Steinberger L2 during the early 80's. I love his playing!

Brent
  19. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Bob Birch was such a tremendous player live. I think I've seen Elton 5 or 6 times live, all great shows.
    Brent
  20. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Dee Murray was the man! I loved what he did and still love to listen to his work. I saw Elton live a few years ago and really dug Bob Birch as well. And if I remember correctly, Dee used both Jazz and Precisions early on, fingers and pick, Fender flatwounds and a collection of tube amps on the road and direct in the studio. I always thought Bob had one of the coolest Musicmans, a SR 5 with a blue burst finish and maple neck. He never switched out when I saw him and I thought he was a really tight player, always dead on. I didn't find out till later all the things that had happened to him over the years and was amazed he was still out there playing and touring. Again, both really great musicians and gone way to soon.