Embarrassing question regarding octavel pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

No I'm not asking what it does. It's because of the reference song I have. 1st I don't listen to country. 2nd I'm sure I can get the synthy bass tone out of any one of these. What I'm not sure about is wether I can get this smooth tone from one. I'm considering the OC-3 and MXR 288. I tried YouTube but that's just people going wild on a synth tone. The pedal needs to track down to at least a F#. Here's the link to the song :(

2. Tony Flow MMMM

3. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

F# is pretty low for tracking on an analog octaver. You may want to try out an Electro Harmonix Micro Pog or any other digital octave pedal. For what it's worth, to my ears, I don't hear a spot where you would need an octave lower than a low F# in the song. The MXR M288 can be a great fit for a non-synthy octave tone, but mine starts to have some warble at low G# and cuts in and out at low F#.

4. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I think the MXR, OC-2, or EBS would track that low but only for a very short period of time, an 1/8th note or a fast 1/4 at most. So if you're moving to a different, higher note, no problem, but if you want to land on that low F# and hang there at all, you probably need a digital pedal like the Micro Pog or maybe the OC-3 could stay stable too.

As far as smooth octaves, the EBS pedal is extremely smooth. In fact, I traded mine to a guitarist for his OC-2 because it was too smooth for me, and that smoothness let him make bass line for his looping project that were nice and smooth.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I didn't hear any F#0s in the song. Is this just a "reference" song for recording a different song? Do you need to get down to F#0 That's a very, very low frequency where it's super muddy and indistinguishable. Unless you're recording something specific where you know that the system being used to play the music is of a really high quality (like for a movie in a theater or at a specific event where there's a massive, high quality PA system), that low F#0 will be totally unheard by anyone. 99% of car stereos, home stereos, headphones, etc. can't play back a fundamental note that low.

The lowest I heard on the song was A0, which any octave pedal should get. If you're playing this song live, it may work better for you if you have a 5-string bass to just detune the low B to an A for one song. There really wasn't any "synthy" bass tones, as you mentioned, so detuning may work for you.

If you're playing a different song that has a super low F#, then you might have issues. Most bass amps can't play a fundamental note that low, and only a few PAs can. If you are going to, you'd better have some massive wattage with an EQ that can specifically hone in on +/-20 hz, and have that boosted up.

Also, do you have no love for country music?

7. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Line 6 M5 using the Bass Octave model.

8. Tony Flow MMMM

I apologize. I don't know what made me say F# i did mean A

9. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Those analog octavers should handle an octave below low A, or detune a 5'er.

10. Tony Flow MMMM

Your right they should all go down to a but is there one that'll give the least processed synthy tone?

11. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Never mind my previous post... The EBS pedal would be one I'd look at if you're not into detuning. That's the one off hand that I can think of that would probably best suit your needs. Happy hunting! [/2 cents]

Unfortunately, they all sound a bit synthy. It's the nature of the beast due to how overtone frequencies are treated both by digital and analog pedals. There's just no way to get a "detuned" tone. As such, they all sound a bit synthy.

Most synth pedals can be set up to have both a -1 octave that's a clean sine wave, and the ability to mix in the dry signal. Using those to just the right amount can get you about as close as what I think you're going after. For instance, I have a EHX microsynth. If I keep just those two things on and have the sweep off, it can sound about as close as you can get to that video, but it still won't be perfect.

12. Tony Flow MMMM

You may have just saved me time and money. I have the digitech bass wah, they all sound similar when I'm going for that natural tone.. Guess its time for a 5 string.

13. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

That's what TB is for!

Besides, 5-ers are loads of fun!

14. Tony Flow MMMM

I have owned one a couple times... They just scare me away. But that new 300$ sub stingray 5 is looking tempting

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd rather use a pedal ;)

16. Tony Flow MMMM

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WISH I COULD DO

17. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

less synthy is the octamizer and mxr288, mxr288 has the best tracking among all octavers i tried... the octamizer has better tone IMO

18. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

That MXR is pretty compelling. Ed Friedland did a nice demo of it on youtube.

19. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

While digital and analog octave pedals have their differences, one important factor to consider is the bass itself. I have a lot of instruments around the house, and each one reacts differently with my octave pedal. It strikes me as a resonance thing... though I have no science to back up this claim. But each bass has spots that work, and spots that don't. Some instruments track great all the way down to low G, others won't. One thing that levels the playing field a bit is to put a compressor in front of it. The first pedal on my board is the MXR Bass Comp, everything sounds better after that!

20. kaputsport

kaputsport

Disclosures:
    Atypical, not a typical...
    EHX Octave Multiplexor should do it, and very clean.