Emergency!!!! OBP-3 Install Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 71beast, Dec 22, 2012.

1. 71beast

71beast

I recently built a jazz style bass that had everything I wanted on it. Hipshot tuners why an xtender, badass bridge, swamp ash body, and for electronics I went with an OBP-3 preamp 18volt system, and Seymour Duncan Antiquitys. I just finished assembly and figured it should sound like a monster, but when I plug it in I'm not getting any volume when I play any of the strings, but if I tap on the pickups I do hear a pop. I followed the wiring from bestbass gear for volume-volume-bass/treble stack-mid push/pull, and active/passive switch. I also hear a pop when I move the switch from active to passive, and visa versa.

I am completely lost. The only thing I can think of is I used a mono output jack instead of stereo, but I can't find anything about what would happen if that happened. Could it be that the distance between the pickups and strings are too much?

I've wired many basses and guitars and never encountered something like this, nor can I find anything about it. I could really use some help from everyone. I'll post pics of her when everything is done, hopefully I can get this sorted out by Friday so I can start the new year on an awesome note.

Thanks in advanced everyone.

2. tilehilder

tilehilder Supporting Member

If you used a mono jack, it may not turn the battery on.

3. 71beast

71beast

I'm going to check and see if I did that, but would I still get sound when tapping on the pickup if that was done?

4. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification

Disclosures:
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    The preamp will stay permanently on and result in draining The battery if you use a mono output jack instead of stereo. So you could have output but no love from the preamp

Hope this helps.

Dave B.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 71beast

71beast

Thanks. I figured that, but i cant figure out why I don't get any output when I play the strings. It makes no sense to me and I really don't want to take it to someone and admit defeat. I haven't been beat by electronics before and I don't want this to be the first. Lol

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

didn't you follow the diagram that came with the preamp?

(that you used a mono jack suggests to me that you did not; it may be time to start over, and follow the directions exactly.)

8. Jaco D

Jaco D

I checked the bestbassgear diagrams and they indicate the use of stereo jacks so I don't know why you're using monos. Secondly, what pot values are you using (Aguilar says 50K pots)? I'm not sure how different are the bestbassgear diagrams from the aguilar diagrams (sorry, just had too many of the brown bottles today), but the Aguilar diagrams are quite comprehensive as far as options are concerned (the bestbassgear diagrams are silent on the pot values) so I suggest using the Aguilar diagrams. I didn't have problems with those Aguilar diagrams when I wired my Gecko so many moons ago.

9. steelin4u

steelin4u

If tapping on the pickup pole pieces results in a pop, and leaving your finger or screwdriver on the pickup gives you a hum, then you may have wired your pickup leads backwards or the hot signal is getting grounded before the jack.

Use the continuity function of a multimeter if you have one and follow your hot and ground paths. Best of luck.

10. walterw

+1, and either way you should follow the printed directions that come with the preamp.

the only thing squirrely is the wire color codes, it's sometimes hard to distinguish "brown w/ red stripes" from "brown w/ orange stripes".

11. 71beast

71beast

I didn't say i did use a mono jack, I asked what would happen if I did. I'm trying to track down the possible cause and that was one possible cause. I can't find anyone that has had an issue like this, tech, manufacturer, or other which is why I asked the community for help. I have traced the lines and I did put in a stereo jack, so that can't be the issue. I have done many electrical projects including creating and building pedals, with and without directions. I followed them correctly. I'm trying to go back over it to make sure the color leads are correct. As you said its hard to tell someone of the stripped colors.

There's no hum, so I know its grounded well and the leads are correct, I double and triple checked. The thing is I do get the sound of me tapping on the poles when I tap them, but nothing when I play a string. It makes no sense.

12. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Sounds like something is not wired properly. I just installed an OBP-3 just like yours with an active/passive switch and push/pull mids. It was the first time I ever wired up an Aguilar and got it right the first time with no problems. I followed the BestBassGear.com diagrams.

The closest diagram to your setup is the following: http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/obp3-v-v-t--mpp-b-ap.pdf

This one has separate bass and treble knobs but the wiring on the bass/treble stack is the exact same except that they are stacked on top of each other. If you use a stereo jack, use 250k volume pots, and follow the wiring schematic exactly, then it should work. I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't. Of course I'm assuming the Antiquity pickups are passive.

I would also suggest installing the two 1 megohm resistors as indicated on the Aguilar wiring diagram. These will almost entirely eliminate the switch click/pop on your push/pull mids pot. I did and it works great.

13. walterw

OK then, all i can say is look for "dumb" stuff, like :scowl::rollno: dumb; reversed hot, battery and ground leads, things touching ground, the battery clip not grabbing the 9V right, etc.

one trick is to do a "noise trace" with the bass plugged into an amp:

touch the hot of the jack with your finger or a metal object; you should hear a buzz, similar to touching the tip of a loose cable plugged into that amp.

if you get noise, proceed up the chain to the next component, and touch the hot connection there.

the place where you touch "hot" and get no noise is where you've lost the signal.