EMG 35J and 35TW

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kurotenshi, Jan 29, 2013.

1. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Does anyone here have a bass with 35J or 35TW?
    I wanted to put 35TWX on my LTD AX-104 to get a more jazz-bass like sound without loosing the ability to have the full HB sound.
    From what I've seen, the pickup location on the jazz is a bit more towards the bridge than on my bass. Although the single coil mode on the 35J and 35TW is toward the bridge I'm afraid it is not enough to get the difference in sound I want.

2. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Media:
    I have the 35twx in an ibanez bass and they're great. The humbucker mode is very full and fat sounding. Then, when you switch it to single coils, it's basically a jazz bass. It's not exact, but it will give you that nice single coil sound like a jazz bass

3. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Thanks, may I ask which Ibanez you have them on?

4. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Media:
    I have them in an Ibanez GSR 206 6 string bass. They're actually Emg 45-TWX pups now that I think about it. Same thing though. The original pups in the bass were awful. These were a huge upgrade and really brought the sound out. I'm gonna put a preamp in it soon so I can play it on gospel gigs. I'm really satisfied with the pickups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Disclosures:
    Solder Jockey at VFE Pedals
    I have a 40Jx in the neck and a 40TWx in the bridge on my 5-String, and it's probably the happiest I've been so far with my tone. The only combination that I've thought had an edge on it was a Ceramic Seymour Duncan MM in the Bridge and a Quarter Pounder in the neck. That was a very very bright and articulate combination (probably too bright for me in a band setting)

I've found the J and TW set to be versatile and useful for studio applications. I can really nail that grindy Justin Chancellor tone (which was mostly what I was going for) but it has quite a lot of punch for doing more classic-rock sounding tones for Stoner Rock or Sludge metal, ala The Sword, High On Fire, Mastodon, etc...

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but I think it works very well for several distinct applications.

7. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

I was also considering that configuration but then I thought, with TW on both I have all the combinations possible so... few € more and I'm completely covered.
    I'm going for the Nolly Getgood / Amos Williams tone.