1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EMG 35tw's to EMG 35twx's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schecter_4_life, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Schecter_4_life

Schecter_4_life

Hello all just wanting to find out if I can simply do a swap on my EMG 35tw's with 35twx's or will i have to also change all the pots?

2. lifer_

lifer_

No problem to do that if you're using an EMG wiring.

3. Schecter_4_life

Schecter_4_life

Thanks lifer and yes it is emg wiring so cool i will just get the pickups and do the quick switch.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Since the "X" models can have more output, you might consider running 18v if you're currently running only 9v. See the EMG website and the "X" product page for details.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

The X series don't have more output. About the same, though they sound a LOT more open. Vastly prefer the X series and I am a long time EMG fan.

One nice thing with the X series is (purely IMO but I have years of experience with the older series to compare) you don't need to go 18v to get the headroom increase/advantage like with the older series (especially the dual coil models like the CS/DC/TX). The re-designed preamp makes that mod unnecessary now, as more headroom is inherent in the new design (the older series sounded a bit choked to me at 9v compared to 18).

I've had both the 45TW and the 45TWX - TWX sound better AND now the outputs of the J mode and CS mode are the same, a huge improvement IMO. The JX also kills the J tone-wise. I currently run two JX with the BQC preamp off a single 9 v battery and it smokes.

J

7. Jamie_Funk

The push/pull pots are the same. But the X series has far lower impedance and you really should use the included ACTIVE tone control because of that. Simply swamp out the TW passive tone for the active that comes with the TWX.

I used to hate the passive tone control that came with EMGs - did very little or too much. the new active one has a really nice and USEFUL sweep. And it also works great with older EMGs.

J

8. iiipopes

I absolutely disagree with Jamie Funk's statement about output. Here are the links to the two EMG product data sheets, which show that the "X" version has about twice the rated output in volts, both on the single (or more precisely, stacked) coil setting and the dual (or more precisely, side-by-side coil) setting. Don't argue with me; read the data sheets:

http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/35TW_Instructions_B136rE_0230-0140rC.pdf
    http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/35TWX_Instructions_B136rE_0230-0143rB.pdf

I also disagree about any significant difference in impedance. Both pickups, being totally active, have about the same low impedance, since the signal coming out of each is through a buffering preamp, where each coil is treated separately, and then the signals are summed for the output hot pin.

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I have used both the TW's and the TWX's and have found that the noticeable difference in output is the TWX's single and dual coil modes have around the same amount of output, which are both similar to the TW's dual coil output but more than the TW's single coil output. The impedance levels are quite different on both as well, 10kOhms vs 2kOhms.

The new active tone pot works much better with the X series. I haven't used the non X-series in a while, so I'm just going off what I've used in the past. All my EMG equipped basses use X series pickups now.

I think the EMG documentation is confusing as I think the output voltage they're talking about is a headroom measurement more than anything. Not a measurement of actual output. Also forum regular JimmyM has also stated the only thing he noticed between the standard and X series is an extended range of output, more treble and maybe more lows. Not hotter output.

10. Jamie_Funk

On the output issue - I wasn't aware I was "arguing". I've used both and didn't notice significant out difference. I DID notice that they finally balanced the output between the two modes, which is the big thing here (a great change).

On impedance, you are misinformed - the impedence of the X series is significantly lower - it is 2K where the TW is 10K. The two pdfs you linked clearly show this difference. BOTH the old series and X series are low impedence. But different values. Low impedence does not signify a single value of impedance (rather a range) and remember there is a re-designed preamp at play here.

Bottom Line - I've used both the TW and TWX pickups in my own bases - my opinions stand and can be regarded or disregarded as anyone sees fit. IMO the TWX sounds better than the old series and does not need 18v to sound it's best. If you actually contact EMG tech support they will say the same thing (I have) due to the increased headroom built in to the new X series preamp design.

11. iiipopes

I concede the redesign of the preamp. Of course there is a range of impedances for anything generally categorized "low." But both pickups are low enough that it should not make a difference on most preamps and amps, although it could. If the "active" side of the input is too low impedance, then even the difference between 2kohm and 10kohm could make a difference and choke the tone a bit.

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

iiipopes, I've also read from others that when using the older standard preamp that moving to 50k or 100kohm pots for the tone made it much more usable. Wish someone with more knowledge on the topic and design of the EMG's would pipe in and shine some light for us :)