EMG 40CS-TW to 40DC tonepump

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Deathell, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Deathell

Deathell

I have a Spector Euro 5LX which came with a pair of 40CS-TW, I came across on a lot of searches here where some people mentioned that the 40CS-TW were more mellower sounding than the 40DC? Can anyone really confirm this if they are.. also I seriously have no use for the coil splits at all, all I want is the most aggressive tone possible. In fact I'm thinking of keeping the tonepump preamp because of this.

So could I just drop the 40DC in via quick connect without having to change out the coil splitting pots?

Also, would doing an 18V mod to the tonepump take some of the aggression away? (which I don't want) or would it help for better low end clarity, I tune to ADGCF and sometimes GCFA#D#. I play fast brutal death metal stuff, no pick, only fingers.
  2. PaulMacCnj

PaulMacCnj

I have a Spector Euro5LX with EMG 40DC pups and a ReBop4 with a 35CS at the bridge, 35P4 at the neck. The DC and CS pups are noticeably different. The DCs are brighter and chirpy with a massive, tight low end. There is also the growl sound. The CSs are warmer and don't have that chirp. The low end is big and fat. I don't notice as much growl. Then again, the fact that one bass is a through neck and the other a bolt-on certainly influences the overall tone. Okay, subjective terms, but I hope they make some sense.
  3. PaulMacCnj

PaulMacCnj

Forgot to mention, if aggressive tone is what you're after in a Spector, yes, go with the DC pups and the TonePump. Also, some bright sounding strings.
  4. Deathell

Deathell

Thanks! Can I drop the 40DCs in or do I need to change the coil splitting pots as well?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I'd do 40DCX in the bridge and 40P5X in the neck for an awesome tone. Didn't really dig the DC in the neck position.
  7. Deathell

Deathell

I've been thinking about that as well, 40DC on neck might loose the fatness? How does the X series compare in respect to the normal ones in aggressiveness :D
  8. PaulMacCnj

PaulMacCnj

I just checked the EMG wiring diagrams for the DC and TW pups. The DC uses a 3 pin connector, the TW uses a 7 pin connector. That alone says that it's not a simple swap. The cables between the pups and control circuitry will have to be swapped out. Without looking at the schematics for tapped vs. fixed pup wiring, I'll assume that the coil-splitting pots could be wired properly. This meaning that either the push-pull effectively does nothing or results in the pup on in one position and the pup off in the other.

Let's see if another Spector head chimes in here...
  9. PaulMacCnj

PaulMacCnj

The reverse P configuration in the soapbar housing sounds so good! My experience is with the 35P4 only, but it is one sweet pickup and that setup is sure to be equally good in the other models.

10. tylerwylie

X series has extended highs and lows and a greater dynamic range. More responsive to your attack, less compressed. ESP LTD B4XX series basses came with DC in the bridge and P in the neck and it sounded amazing blended, and each pickup functioned well solo'd. I've used a DCX in the neck on my 6 string and it does not sound as good, it really shines in the bridge position.
  11. Deathell

Deathell

In this case, it would seem I have to use the whole EMG's quick connect system, this is going to be bothersome. I liked everything to be soldered that way I know everything will be juicing it out 100%, I'm not really a bassist but a guitarist and in my ESP guitar everything was soldered from factory with EMGs. If EMG's quick connect system was so great how come they're not using it XD.. also read somewhere where someone compared it and said it was a little dull sounding with the quick connect compared to straight soldered.
  12. Deathell

Deathell

I didn't really like the X series for guitar pickups (being more of a guitarist), the attack and grit wasn't as much as before but perhaps this is a different matter for bass that really need the headroom! And have you tried 18v mod with tonepump + DCX and PX? I know it is closing in on insanity and all hahah
  13. tylerwylie

Haven't used it with a Tonepump, but with an Aguilar OBP-3. Some people like the more compressed sound of the standard pickups. I think the difference is really noticeable when you're tuned down to C or playing a 5 string. If you go 18V, the differences are less dramatic between X and non X series. If you stay at 9V, and really like to attack the strings I think the X series is worth the extra 10$ per pickup.