EMG 40DC Low Volume

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JeremieJ, Jan 10, 2014.

1. JeremieJ

JeremieJ

My guitar is a Dean Edge 09. It's my starter bass and I wanted to give it a bit more range by going from a passive to an active pickup. I installed the pickups without any problems, but when I plugged them into my little amp in a box it didn't sound as loud as I thought it should. So, I double checked everything and there were no errors. I also noticed that when I took the battery out the sound volume stayed the same. Now I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen on active pickups or not since this is my first interactions with them. It just makes a little click noise when I put the battery in place but not volume increase. I did try another battery and got the same result. Just to test things out I swapped the outer white and black terminals on the input jack. When I did this the pickups got a lot louder without the battery and when I put the battery in there was a very noticeable change in volume. When I switched the terminals it got louder, but then the volume and tone knobs didn't do anything. When they were in the correct positions according to the instructions the volume went back down and the batteries made no difference in volume, but the knobs worked correctly. I triple checked all my connections and I couldn't find anything wrong. Have you all ever seen this or is there something I need to do that isn't listed in the directions? I did adjust the pickup height to see if that made any difference, but it did not. If the volume isn't supposed to change when you install a battery then they are working fine, but I wanted to check if that's normal or not. Thanks!

http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/4/0/40_Bass_01230-0128A.pdf

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

EMG DC's have very little output without a battery to power them.
    The battery powers their internal preamps.
    Seems as tho you may have something not wired correctly, possibly the hot or ground not making the correct circuit, but without photos, anything is just a guess.

3. JeremieJ

JeremieJ

4. JeremieJ

JeremieJ

I also triple checked the pickup connection and it's on correctly.

5. Register to disable this ad