EMG ABC Blend Pot...how to tell if I ruined it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyM, Dec 11, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I was trying to adapt an old set of EMG PJ's to a new BQC preamp by soldering the old pickups onto the spots on the ABC control's PCB where they tell you. Unfortunately, I am a lousy solderer and it didn't work so well, so I undid my solders and tested the circuit with a newish set of PJX's that uses quik-connectors. I confirmed that the quick connector hookup for the neck pickup is fine but the hookup for the bridge pickup isn't working.

I have a little meter, but I have no idea what to do with it to check for continuity. I visually inspected the pot and I don't see any areas where I might have shorted something with my bad soldering. So my questions are:

1. How do I set my meter and what do I touch to check what's wrong?

2. Can I fix it?

3. Can I just solder quick connector wires onto my pickup wires and hook up the old pickups as if they were quick connector pickups?

Here's the PDF on the ABC control for those who aren't familiar:

http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/ABC_0230-0095H.pdf

Thanks!

2. line6man

line6man

Considering that this is an active control, you won't get far trying to test it with an Ohm meter. You need DC power for it to function properly, and even then, input impedances are likely to be constant.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    So you think I trashed it? BTW, this isn't a new thing for me to trash electronics. Had to buy a second BQC for my P Lyte after I shorted out the first one entirely. This one's going in a different bass, so I think I'm ahead of the game by only trashing one component ;)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I think I trashed it, BTW.

5. Register to disable this ad