EMG and Aguilar Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RadioRob, Dec 15, 2012.

1. RadioRob

RadioRob

Media:
    I recently updated to the EMG-40DC 5 string bass pickup, but now I would like to add the Aguilar OBP-2 Preamp.
    The wiring is fine for a passive pickup but how do you wire an active pickup? There are 3 wires coming form the EMG not 2.
    I would be bypassing the blend knob and use a push pull tone for treb and Bass.

Thanks Rob..

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Use EMG's volume/blend pots which go into the Aguilar OBP-2 which then go to the output jack. I'm sure there is a wiring diagram available, but it's not going to be much different.

3. RadioRob

RadioRob

Media:
    I am confused. Can you point me to what volume/blend pot you are referring.
    Also its a single pickup.

4. RadioRob

RadioRob

Media:
    This is what I was going to do.
    test.jpg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

You will need to use either the EMG volume and blend pots or get 25k volume and blend pots, since the EMG pickup is active. EMG pickups typically have three wires: black (ground), white (hot), metallic shield (also a ground that surrounds the white hot wire), and red (battery leads for the pickups). When connecting the pickup, you will connect the hot and ground as usual. The red wire from the pickup will be connected to the red wire from your battery clip. This allows the battery to power the pickup since it is active. Without battery power your pickup will not really work, if at all. Then you will take those connections you just made and connect them to the red wire from the Aguilar preamp. Therefore, you will have a red wire from the pickup connected to the red from the battery clip and then connected to the preamp red wire.

7. RadioRob

RadioRob

Media:
    Most of what you wrote makes sense but why do I need a volume blend pot with a single pickup?

8. bongostealth

That was my mistake. I didn't completely edit my comment. You wouldn't need a blend knob for a single pickup. Sorry. :meh:

9. RadioRob

RadioRob

Media:
  10. bongostealth