EMG BQC SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brian Crawford, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Hello needing to know if someone could tell me if I could replace the EMG 2 band EQ in my Schecter stargazer 4 with the EMG bqc system so it will have mids and want to change the HZ's to mmcs and SJ pickups.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You could but you'd have to solder the pickups either onto the soldering pads on the BQC or solder the pickup wires to quick connector wires with plugs on them. Last year I put a BQC in a bass that had soldered EMG pickups and went the latter route. Personally I think it's way easier just to stay with EMG pickups but to each their own.
  3. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

If you have EMG pickups, and if they have wires that are soldered to the existing preamp, you could VERY easily install a BQS system (the EMG system meant for EMG pickups only) and also use EMG quick connect cables. Therefore, there would be no soldering required.
  4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Should sound great with the tone stack change and original pickups. I played a stock Stargazer in a GC once and liked it .
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Hey JimmyM along with the BQC System I would be replacing the HZ's with active pickups. (instead of the sjhz and mmcshz it will be a sjx and mmcsx)
  7. JustForSport

JustForSport

If you're changing to active pickups, you'll need to change the vol and bal pots/ values also.
  8. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

25K, instead of the more common 250Ks.
  9. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

If you are moving to active EMG pickups, and buying NEW, then the required 25K pots will be included.

J
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    DOH! For some reason, I was thinking you were getting a different brand of pickups and a BQC. I forgot that EMG sometimes adds prefixes to their pickups that they don't use on the website names. Anyway, you should have zero problems installing either the pickups or BQC in your bass. Should rock quite well.
  11. Lownote38

Lownote38

I would just go for the BQS so you have low mid and hi (all active). That way you have the whole system instead of just the midrange control.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The 4-knob BQC is the exact same as the 5-knob BQS, except it uses a stacked pot for the treble and bass controls instead of separates.
  13. JustForSport

JustForSport

I think BQC's come w/o the vol/vol or vol/bal pots (use/add the correct ones for your chosen active or passive pickups), whereas the BQS needs to be ordered for passive OR active pickups as it comes with the vol/vol or vol/bal pots included.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    OK, so here's the scoop on the BQC/BQS:

---You can buy both the BQC and BQS tone controls without the volume and blend, but you can also get the whole system with the volume and blend for both as well.

---Both come in active and passive versions.

---Other than the BQC being for 4 knob setups and the BQS being for 5 knob setups, they're the same.
  15. dkelley

dkelley

Just pointing out.... the variable freq mid control is amazing and easily the best part of the emg system..... added JUST the active mid system to my existing active 2 band carvin and will never be able to live with mid controls that dont have variable freq again.

Soldering isnt hard but plug n play is even better! I had a bunch of wiring/soldering in my carvin 2 add the mid system.
  16. JustForSport

JustForSport

17. Redbutton

Redbutton Supporting Member

Does the volume control on the BQC have a "pull passive" feature?
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures: