EMG BTC versus ToneStyler?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I should have asked this before posting a "WTB" in the classifieds...

I have a single passive pickup 5 banger that I feel would benefit from the addition of some tone-shaping upgrade. Luckily, this particular bass has a control cavity that will accommodate swap-out of the passive tone control and inclusion of a 9 v battery...but not much else. IOW, I really don't feel like trying to squeeze a full-blown 4 knob EQ harness into this rascal. Two of the more attractive options are the active EMG BTC (active single stacked knob treble / bass) and the passive ToneStyler. Both are in the same league price-wise so that is a non-issue.

Please feel free to share your opinions...there are no right or wrong answers as I feel anything would be an improvement. Thanks!

Riis

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I had a passive P-Bass that I had modded to add J pup in the bridge position. Installed EMG's at first with the included tone knob and then I decided I needed more and swapped it out with a BTC. Big difference. I really liked it! I have since sold it (to fund G.A.S.) but the new owner is extremely happy!

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

BTC definitely. Just my HO...