EMG BTC versus ToneStyler?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I should have asked this before posting a "WTB" in the classifieds...

I have a single passive pickup 5 banger that I feel would benefit from the addition of some tone-shaping upgrade. Luckily, this particular bass has a control cavity that will accommodate swap-out of the passive tone control and inclusion of a 9 v battery...but not much else. IOW, I really don't feel like trying to squeeze a full-blown 4 knob EQ harness into this rascal. Two of the more attractive options are the active EMG BTC (active single stacked knob treble / bass) and the passive ToneStyler. Both are in the same league price-wise so that is a non-issue.

Please feel free to share your opinions...there are no right or wrong answers as I feel anything would be an improvement. Thanks!

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I had a passive P-Bass that I had modded to add J pup in the bridge position. Installed EMG's at first with the included tone knob and then I decided I needed more and swapped it out with a BTC. Big difference. I really liked it! I have since sold it (to fund G.A.S.) but the new owner is extremely happy!
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered Panther Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    BTC definitely. Just my HO...