1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

emg dc or pj pickups questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cliff em all, Dec 14, 2013.

1. cliff em all

cliff em all

hey I have some questions I am planning on getting some emg pick ups but I have a couple of questions first.
    I am looking at either getting a pair of 40dc or a set of jx-cs and 40px5
    http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/extended-series/5-string/40dcx.html
    http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/extended-series/5-string/40jx-cs.html
    http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/extended-series/5-string/40px-5.html
    im a metal player and want something that is punchy, will cut through the mix, and have good mids (I play with fingers if that helps). or something like this

anywho from what ive described which one of the two would you suggest? is there a difference between the x series and the standard? also im installing this into a Jackson js3v
    thanks a bunch
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The X series are brighter and go a little bit lower. Personally I prefer the non-X series for that reason. If you want strong mids, though, I highly recommend the BQC or BQS preamp, depending on how many knobs you have. The sweepable mid control is a godsend IMHO.
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    That sounds like a passive P bass to me. I went through a lot of active basses looking for my tone before I grabbed a few passive p/j bass and nailed it.
  4. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

I have 40DC's and BQC in my Gecko5, and it has that "punch you in the gut" tone if I dial it in for that. Like Jimmy said, go with the non-X and the EQ with the mid sweep control.
  5. cliff em all

cliff em all

Hmm so pretty much I should go with the p/j configuration with a bqc?
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unless you want brighter highs and slightly lower lows, I'd go with the regular PJ setup or whatever fits in your cavities that's closest to it. Otherwise go with the X's. Either way, though, go with the BQC. It's awesome.
  7. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

The p/j is better for what your looking for. Use any pre you like. The obp and Spector tone pumps work well also.
  8. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

Get a pair of 40P5's. You'll thank me later. Proper P tone on the neck pickup alone, and such a chunky, mid-complex tone that sits perfectly in the mix when the pickups are blended (best fingerstyle tone I've ever had). Sooooo much better than a PJ (including EMG PJ).

All IMO etc etc .
  9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Or a 40P5 neck and a 40DC bridge...(w/BQC)
  10. depravator

depravator

Anyone tried that combination?

That's what I have in mind form my Spector Rebop 5, but I'm also interested in X versions of these pickups. The EMG HZ's ain't good for me, and I definitely will upgrade them. Apart from that, I plan on removing tone pump. The BQC seems interesting, but I think I'll rather keep the cash, and dial in some mids in EQ on my amp. Will that do, instead of going for BQC?
  11. cliff em all

cliff em all

I was also thinking about the 40p5 and the 40dc. wonder how that would turn out I cant afford the bqc right now but I will plan on getting it
  12. JustForSport

JustForSport

That's what is in a Godin BG5 right now, but the 40P5 is a little dark (for what I was looking for), so I may just switch them since it's so easy.
    Does add a wider range of avail tone, tho compared to the 2 40DC's that are original.
    The amp they're plugged into can make a big difference, also.
  13. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Tried it and didn't care for it. Didn't give me the right hi's I wanted. I did like the J neck ,dc bridge combo, and I did like the PP combo. Keep going back to the p/j combo though. There's some snarly mids there that just sound good. Probably because we've heard it for the past 30 years though.

Get a trim pot tone pump. Big difference with Emg's too. With the trim pot pump you can dial it in to 100% boost and only drive the amp as hard as you want. Whole different ball game. And you get the Spector growl.
  14. vaesto

vaesto

Hi,

If you don't like EMG HZmost likely you won't like DC either.
    I've had exactly the same situation on my esp ltd. Swapped HZ with DC and didn't get the sound I'd like to have. Problem is simple: DC pickups are humbuckers so they have lots of dirty lows and lots of clear highs, however mids are somewhat scooped. The result - muddy boomy lows, "plastic" mids and lots of highs on the neck position. And "glassy" roaring sound on the bridge. In my particular situation I just get lost in rock band mix. It looks like EMG DC has very narrow "sweet spot" it is only suitable for the middle position. Not for the neck, nor for the bridge. And you need to use pick and steel roundwounds to play or distortion effect (the MIDS are back and lows back to normal that way). I don't believe "magical" EQ systems would fix it too.
    I sold my ESP right after I've tried p-bass :) So I vote for EMG P5 for the neck and J or TW for the bridge. And plug them on 18V. No EQ should be needed.
  15. depravator

depravator

Hmmm, maybe I'll go for 40JX and 40PX-5 combo then, though a somewhat scooped sound is not such a great problem (I can dial in some lo mids and other on graphic eq on my TraceElliot amp). Heard many good opinions from ppl that went from HZs to DCs. And one of my fav artists plays on normal 40dcs - Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse, and I like his sound pretty much!

Thanks for opinions, though now I have more to consider, and I feel like getting more confused :D

ps. haven't marked that before - I play extreme metal, fingerstyle
  16. vaesto

vaesto

I thought exactly the same: dial the EQ on amp and vualia... However, it is not working - if you miss some of the frequencies then no matter what you do with EQ - you won't recreate them. Open question if you really need those mid frequencies. In any case P+J combination is going to be more versatile IMHO.

And don't believe fancy magical onboard preamp with as many knobs as it may fit WILL DO any sound you want. It is not so. At best it will correct/change some freq. ranges to one or another side but it won't make your sound fantastic if it is not coming good out of the pickups.

And yes - DC over HZ is a big improvement. Unfortunately not the way I needed :)
  17. JustForSport

JustForSport

Sometimes dialing 'out' a bit of the frequencies that are covering the ones you want, then just boosting the vol a little more can get what's needed.
    That's what's good about a boost/cut preamp.
  18. depravator

depravator

Cool, thanks for valuable opinion! As for the preamp - sure, I don't see it as a thing that will primary shape the tone, in fact I'm planning on either removing preamp completely, or making it optional. And for sure won't make any more space for knobs, atm there are 4 and that's the way it's gonna stay.