1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EMG guru help needed... please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by y0shimitzu, Dec 6, 2013.

1. y0shimitzu

y0shimitzu

Hey guys I am looking for some guidance.

I was looking for some pickups. I found a pair of EMG TWX's for about 80 bucks. never installed included everything in the boxes. I couldn't pass it up. so I need to replace the crap pre that my bass has. I was looking at the EMG options but non of them say they work with the TWX's. I want to keep the switching on the pickups. I don't care if it is with dpdt switches or with the included push pulls. I don't care if I go to a completely different pre. I am just looking for some good sounds and as many usable sounds as I can.

so right now the bass has a 5 control 3 band in it. vol blend treble mid bass. I don't want to add another dial as it would look funky. I am fine to add the 2 dpdt switches if that seems the better route. I am looking to get as much versatility out of this setup as I can.

the BQS system with DPDT switch would not be bad. I just could figure out the wiring for the switches. I don't see anything labeled on the pickups to make the switch work.

keeping the push pulls. I looked at so the BQC control. the stacked bass/treble with the mid stack. but I want to know if I can wire a single active tone control for both volume outputs. so it with be the 2 vols 1 tone for both and then the 2 stacks.

thank you guys so much for your time!
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    They are active. Check with EMG, maybe they can pre-wire something up like that for you. Also, call the folks at Best Bass Gear. They prewire a ton of different preamps.
  3. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

TWX will work with any of their preamps. The challenge is the push-pull pots - if you want to use a BLEND control, then you need to use regular EMG pots and do the switching between dual and single modes with...switches. Not sure if EMG sells the switches or not, likely not.

I'd suggest you go 2 push/pull Volumes OR regular master volume and blend (with switching via switches) into Bass/Mid/Treble stacks THEN a single active tone control - this is similar to how some Sadowskys are setup.

Better yet - call EMG and talk to Rick the tech guy - extremely helpful. They have diagrams for the TWX series that show how to wire switches - you may not have those/they can be confusing.

Good luck!

J