1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EMG-HZ ..Opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RIZ, Aug 25, 2000.

1. RIZ

RIZ

Recently we all have seen the emergence of these p/ups on production basses. Anyone have a new bass with them as std equipment? if so what do you think of them?

Just curious....Thx.
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer Supporting Member

The line I heard on 'em is that they are cheap overseas pickups that for bass sound nasaly and honky. Nothing special about 'em above other inexpensive pickups. Certainly nothing like "real" EMGs. I wouldn't go out of my way for 'em.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

The bass that I heard them on...was anything BUT "nasaly and honky". They had a great bottom end.....mid and highs that were rich and clear... and a full sound over the entire range of the bass.
    From the previous description...it's difficult for me to even think that we are discussing the same pickups.
  5. Doug

Doug

I have to go with Deynn on this one. I have these on my ESP and they sound incredible. I don't like that nasally sound either, and these things are far from nasally sounding.

[Edited by Doug on 08-30-2000 at 12:27 PM]
  6. RIZ

RIZ

Doug, I love your signature. I had to do a double take when I saw it, but I roared with laughter...:D:

Anyway, I have a Spector NS2000-5 and it has the EMG-HZ's
    on it. I am considering replacing them with EMG 40DC's and either the EMG-BQC or the EMG-BTS active tone control systems.

I can't see how this could hurt and would end up putting my Korean made Spector on alot closer footing with the much more costly and better sounding Euro made Spectors which use the same EMG 40DC P/U's.

The EMG-HZ's aren't bad per-sey, they do the job adequetly enough for me, but I guess I am looking for something more from my Spector with out having to buy a Euro Spector, which I'd like to do but the wife would have my head for lunch! (a.k.a. this is the lesser of two evils!)
  7. Doug

Doug

That signature was courtesy of our own beloved

John Turner.

He had it posted in one of the threads. I laughed my arse off when I seen it. I just had to have it as my sig. At least until something funnier comes along.
  8. Eric Cameron

Eric Cameron

I heard the same story from one of my friends, that they sounded crappy, but when I played one at Guitar Center it sounded beautiful. Maybe there are a few defective ones roaming around?

Rock on
    Eric
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Maybe nasally and honky aren't good descriptions. How about this:

Unnatural:D There's nothing wrong with the classic, early active electronics sound of the HZ's, if you like that sort of thing. I was The line I was piggybacking on was "Nothing special about 'em above other inexpensive pickups. Certainly nothing like "real" EMGs. I wouldn't go out of my way for 'em." Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

This wasn't based on hearsay, this was direct experience with them in several basses.
  10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

I don't know Brad....mine sound quite natural to me...:)
    Really....they sound great and I am consistently AND pleasantly surprised/pleased with the variety of tone I can get with them.
    Is it the pickups...or the active electronics??????
  11. LeftyBass

LeftyBass

The Dean Edge 4's and above come with them standard and I have fallen in love with them... I don't know where you got "Nasaly and honky" but it wasn't from this bass! Maybe it's the difference between active and passive, (mine are passive) but they have the sweetest lows and mids of any pickup's I've played on. A far sight better than any fender pickup's! I even like the HZ'z better than the bartolini's that were in the Tobias I played on. If HZ's are the low end of EMG pickups, I'll be using EMG's in EVERYTHING I EVER PLAY!

Sooooooo smoooooothe.... :)

12. CROZ

CROZ

All EMG HZ's are Passive. The HZ stands for high impedance; an active bass would have a low impedance. Some HZ loaded basses have an active circuit separate from the P/up, unlike active EMG's which all have a circuit board inside the pickup. <p>
    I played a bass with Humbucker HZ's and thought it sounded dark, not nasaly as Eli described. I think that's just the nature of passive humbuckers, though. I've never seen these pickups on a high-end bass so I assume they are cheaply made. That's, okay though. Something doesn't have to be pricey to be good. I love my Ford and wouldn't trade it for all the money in the wo--- What am I talking about, hell yeah I would. <p>
    Don't knock on Fenders, LeftyBass, The mexican ones have crappy pickups but my American Deluxe has a great system. It's probably hard to get a good production left handed bass, but don't step on my toes because I got steel toe boots and I don't give a F***
  13. LeftyBass

LeftyBass

Dude, I don't mean to be stepping on your toes. I personally don't like fenders in general. Actaully I like the MIM fenders better than the AMerican made ones usually.

BUT HEY! THAT'S JUST ME!

If they work for you, than rock on, bro. I mean, I like 24 frets... a lot of people hate 24 frets and will only play on 21. That's cool. Some people really like p-basses. I'm not that hot on 'em... I have one, but it's definately not my fav. It's all about opinions on these message boards, so chill dude! If my opinions don't match up with your's, that's totaly groovy. Be happy! We live in a country that says that's ok and healthy and allows differences.

SO, hey... I'm barefoot, take off the steel toes and feel the grass dude.
  14. NooN3000

NooN3000

I have an ibanez sra500 that has the emg hz humbuckers on it and I love 'em. Sounds great through my ampeg svt350. I think their rather worm and deep. This is my 1st bass with emg's on it, and I'm defiantly a fan.
  15. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Well, i hope OP have figured out how HZ sounds by now. This thread is over 12 years old now. :smug:
  16. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

One should hope so at least! :p

To be on topic, I don't particularly hate them, but they have definitely soured my perception of EMG to where I am not willing to spend money on their products.