1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EMG HZ? whats ur opinion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Killface, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Killface

Killface

Hay y'all I'm looking to get some funkyer pups in my schecter and was wondering what would be good for this? Also what's ur thoughts on the EMG HZs? I must say I'm not impressed. I like funky slap style play and don't quite get that from these. I have an ESP with active EMGs and they sound much nicer IMO.

How hard would it be to upgrade from passive to active? I have a active tone circuit. If that matters LOL what's up with mesa boogie? After hearing the videos they sound great! Anyone use Mesa amps and cabs?
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I like the HZs okay at best, but I haven't owned a bass with them. I think they are passive, no? They do not sound like their active pickups, so comparing them is like comparing vintage Fender pickups to EMGs. Apples and oranges. If the active EMG sound is what you'd prefer for your basses then get active EMGs. My own opinion is that the HZs aren't as good at passive tones than most other pickups, but that is an opinion only.
  3. milo

milo

Too dark sounding to me.
  4. chokeslam512

chokeslam512

I believe they are passive pickups with an active preamp. I have them in my Schecter stiletto and I really like them, especially with new strings.
  5. tdub0199

tdub0199

I took my HZ's out of my Stiletto Custom and replaced them with the active 35P4's, way better tone IMO.....
  6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mesa makes outstanding gear that is used by tons of professionals, IMO theirs are some of the best bass amplifiers available. All made in the US! They are the prototype "boutique" amp company.
  7. ysand

ysand

It's clear that you prefer the active EMG sound, so go for it. It's not that easy to make the change by yourself so I'd suggest to take it to a pro.

As for the HZs, I had them in my Spector Zebop. I loved the tone, especially combined with the Tonepump pre. A few months back I found a pair of EMG DC and TW for an amazing price, so I swapped them (took it to a pro too) and I have to say that I prefer the tone of the active ones in my current band.
    For passive sound i use my VM P with flats, which is a totally different beast.

The HZs are good PASSIVE pickups. If you like the sound, keep them. If not, get what you want.
  8. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I like Hzs. I get slap tone out of them if I slap, but if I don't then they don't. Better than EMG select or Duncan Designed. Heard some basses with Hzs sound better than some basses with expensive active EMGs, but there are a lot of other variables there.

Adding a preamp designed for passive pickups isn't terrible hard if you are good at soldering and know your wiring basics. The one bass I owned that came with Hzs actually sounded better once I removed the stock (cheap) preamp.
  9. icecycle66

icecycle66

I love my EMG HZ pups. But, you aren't going to get a really good funkalicious sound out of them unless you have a bunch of post-pup EQ working. They are a bit mellower than most of the other pups out of EMGs lineup.

I like to compare their sound to brighter pups like the HZ are a nickle plated cornet while other, hotter pups, are a big belled brass trumpet.
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I have a Mesa 400+ and a Mesa/Eden 4x10 cab. I love it.

By the way, the HZ pickups are pretty much exactly the same as the CS pickups, same windings and all. If you wire them in parallel (which are how the active pickups are wired internally), and use them with a preamp, they will sound closer to the active CS pickups.
  11. Rockmusician

Rockmusician

I just bought a Spector with EMG's HZ. The bass sounds great but it might be because it also has an active Spector pre-amp.
  12. PaulMacCnj

PaulMacCnj

Agreed with what has been said. The HZs are good passive pickups. But many of us like the EMG active pups tone and the HZs don't have that.
  13. audiophile21

audiophile21

i have the stilletto studio 4 and i love it, the emgs sound incredible, and as far as mesa boogie amps go, buy one you will be happy with it gaurenteed
  14. Killface

Killface

OK what I gots is a stielleto elite 5. I'm pretty sure I misspelled that quite nicely LOL. Schecter has a preamp but I'm not an expert in this so I have no idea how good/nice it sounds. But like I said I want some FUNKY tone out of it so what pups and preamp would y'all say r the best in this department. I was thinking of just replacing the bridge for something brighter but I'm really not that happy with these Hzs.

I have my bass set flat with the treble up and favoring my bridge pup for funk reasons. My problem with these Hz is they don't sound that clear to me when I do a double or triple its hard to hear the space between down up pluck. Its not making me happy is this due to crappy tone circuit? It sounds just fine not plugged in lol
  15. Killface

Killface

I don't prefer active or passive I prefer funky LOL I know my schecter doesent have the pups set up that great for this due to the bridge pup being real close to the bridge I'd like it to be a lil farther away. I'm not that experienced with the electrical aspect of guitars but most of the funk players I like use vintage fender jazzes those r passive and have funk for days.
  16. Killface

Killface

Can u get a funky tone out of the specter? Is it USA made? I think the euro and Asian ones have a different tone circuit. I'm thinking about ordering a custom RXT. I think that's the model name, it looks like a cross between a tele and a les Paul. I'm thinking I only want one pup tho and I don't think its gunna be a Hz.
  17. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

I haven't tried active EMGs, but the EMG HZs sound great in my Rebops - both have the Spector TonePump pre.

I'm installing a new set of passive EMG (P/J) but can't seem to find how to wire them into an old board. This is a 1980s Spector, 2 volumes, 2 tones - it seems I don't need to connect the EMGs to any of the pots - the previous pickups were wired directly into the preamp board. PM me, as I don't want to clutter up this thread. The wiring diagram that came with the EMGs show how to solder the wires to a passive pot.

:help:

Thanks!
  18. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

perhaps this is another "which sounds better" question, only your ears can tell you that my man. As for the HZ's, I think EMG produced them because while they believe that active sounds better, they're going after a larger market by making some passive p-ups. and because some people prefer them and EMG is not stupid. I have them in my 8 string Dean Rhapsody with an active preamp and that think CHUNKS! and the high and low g strings together sound crystal. hard to say if they'll get you that slap you want, I think they're probably more mellow than crazy hot like some have suggested above, so perhaps not the best choice over active, but hard to say because I don't do much slapping on the 8 string. One really nice and smart thing that EMG has done recently is the solder-less connections on all their p-ups. meaning that if you wire in your preamp and new output etc. throw in the Hz's, and if you don't like em you can swap them out for some actives relatively easily as long as you have room in your cavity for the battery... Best of luck getting "that tone" man! Basson!
  19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Ive liked them in the basses that came with them. All of course allready had a 2-3 band active eq in them too. For guitar pups, I like some of the emg hz much better then dimarzio and seymour duncan, some not as much. Thye do have much better selection for guitar humbuckers then they have for bass though.
  20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i've never heard any better than "meh" from HZ pickups, unlike "real" active EMGs.
    oh really?

you're referring to the full-on soapbars, obviously. i'll have to try that.

(although, doesn't the internal EMG preamp do a good bit of boosting and signal-shaping quite apart from what a typical onboard EQ does?)