EMG Jazz pickups for a 5er

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spego, Jan 5, 2011.

1. spego

spego Supporting Member

I bought these for my 4 string Warwick.

http://www.samash.com/p/EMG_J Set Active Bass Guitar Pickups Pair_-49993242

And I LOVE the sound of them....everything came with it and it was an easy setup. I bought a 5 string version of the same bass and I am disappointed I can't find a 5 string set like this from EMG. The bass has an all passive MEC setup in it which isn't bad but I really love the way that EMG setup sounds. It added more punch and a tighter bottom end compared to the passive MEC setup in the 4 string. Anyone have any suggestions to something like the EMG's for a 5?

Thanks much!
  2. spego

spego Supporting Member

Well I am still using the MEC's but purchased a Duncan Basslines STC-2C-BO preamp for it. It sounds ok....but during it's first rehearsal I noticed I was getting buried (and it's only 1 guitar with a loud combo...2 guitarist would have totally buried me). I had to compensate by increasing the volume.....which I didn't have to do when it was wired passive. I could change my EQ settings but would need to change them back when I change from my 4 to 5 all time. :(

So now I am stuck.....buy pickups (and which ones?) to get my mids back in there.....keep screwing with the eq all the time.....or wire it back the way it was (passive) and just live with it (I could try returning the preamp maybe?).

Damn you EMG! I wish you made that pickup set for a 5er!

Anyone have any opinions on this one?
  3. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    i have had the same problem. i contacted emg and they told me the 4 srting p/u's will work for 5 string too. the p/u deminsions should be the same on warwicks. check it out.
  4. spego

spego Supporting Member

WHAT WHAT WHAT??? I am going to check this out right now. LOL

If so that preamp is going back or up for sale.....and I am ordering those EMG's today.
  5. spego

spego Supporting Member

I'm a moron for never even thinking of measuring the pickups....they are the same size....screw holes the same...etc. Thanks for letting me know....preamp is going back and EMG's are being ordered....on the phone now. Thanks man!
  6. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Check the string spacing carefully. The armature inside *may* not be wide enough for all 5-string basses.

I've seen some 5-string EMG jazz pickups on eBay. I think the model names were "SJ5" and "LJ5". I've got one model "LJ5" in my bass-cave, and the armature seems like it should be long enough to work with 19mm string spacing, but I'll need to test it to make sure.

There are actually two "standard" sizes of 5-string Jazz pickups. The EMG pickups are all the same shape as the traditional 4-string Jazz pickups, which are used by Warwick as well as many other manufacturers. Fender also makes longer Jazz pickups for their American Standard series, to accommodate the wider string spacing.

Bartolini also makes replacements in the "59" and "57" models (respectively). You can get the measurements for these and compare.
  7. spego

spego Supporting Member

Very cool....investigating more.
  8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The 5 string version is only sold as a "P+J" set, as far as I can tell. Sucks though, those JVX series, would be a pretty good addition to the 5 string family. Of course if you're an oem for EMG, you might get a 5 string EMG set (The NON- HZ).
  9. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    the sj stands for short p/u. as for the neck position. the lj stand for long p/u. as for the bridge position. the emg guys told me the lj will work in a 5 string that has both p/u's the same length. the warwicks have the same deminsions. how i know this is- i had a carvin 5 string that i replaced the p/u's with mec's from a warwick and then put emg's in it. they worked just fine. all the deminsions were the same.
  10. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    if you have any questions just email emg. its on there website. they returned all my emails very quikly.
  11. spego

spego Supporting Member

EMG called me back and told me the string width cannot be longer than 2.08" at the bridge in order for their J set (link from above) to work. I am not near my 5 string now so i can't measure it.....I would be willing to bet it's more than that though. :(
  12. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    if so i know that the one of the hz sereis will acomodate. robert trujillo uses the emg lj's in his fernandez. it had the same spacing as my carvin and warwick corvette.
  13. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    did you ask them wich ones would work for your bass?
  14. spego

spego Supporting Member

ok i will have to look at those too. I suppose I could remove the set from my 4string and mount them in the 5 to test it.....but that's a lot of work.
  15. spego

spego Supporting Member

The guy told me they didnt make a 5 string Jazz pickup at all. He was kinda short with me.
  16. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Disclosures:
    that sux he was short with you and not more helpful. well i know that some will work if the string spacing is right. i is a lot of work to swap, but then you'll know for sure. like i said robert trujillo has them on his fernandez 5 strings, and i've used them in a carvin 5 string. if it does't work, just keep the mec's and through in a audere preamp. that preamp added so much punch and tone to my bass. could't live without it!
  17. spego

spego Supporting Member

That might be my option at this point. If I swap them out I will let you know my findings. Thanks
  18. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

That does suck. I can't speak for their current production models, but I have a 5 string Guild Pilot bass from 1988 and it has two EMG J's.
  19. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    IMO
    A warwick deserves delanos!
  20. spego

spego Supporting Member

I took the set out of my 4 string and they work fine? Sound better than the passive MEC's did.....a lot more low end and a hell of a lot more growl to it. I didn't notice much if any output difference on the B and G strings that would make me worry.....seemed pretty balanced across the whole range. If I get time maybe I will record a clip.