1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EMG JVX Bridge in a PJ set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 23, 2014.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Is anyone running a JVX in the bridge position of an EMG PJ set a la Victor Wooten with his PAX/JVX set? I'm currently running your standard issue PJ's with a BQC in my P Lyte, and I heard a demo of the JVX's vs regular J's yesterday that I really liked, and now I'm considering replacing the J with a JVX, but I wanted to hear from those of you who have done similar...

---How does the JVX hang with the P or PX in terms of output?

---Considering that I'd only be replacing the bridge pickup and I'd still have a regular P, and also considering that I usually leave the J pickup out except for a small handful of songs, and also also considering that I'm not complaining about my sound with that bass as it is, do you think a swap to the JVX bridge is worth it?

--Other than the one I saw yesterday, where a dude compares like 10 sets of J pickups, I've not seen any other decent demos of the JVX pickups. Anyone know of any others that they can link me to?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2009
    i haven't tried it, but there might be an issue with mixing X-series with the regular stuff in terms of preamp output impedance or whatever.

the X stuff comes with a special active tone pot because the regular EMG 25k passive tone pot doesn't work the same way; that implies a difference in preamp output impedance, which could cause them to not blend right.

(again i don't know this, just a concern)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    What if you used a BQC instead of the standard tone pot?

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Not sure about the X series and a regular P, but I am using the JVX with PAX (the set bestbassgear sells as the Victor Wooten set, despite the fact that Victors basses still have PJX sets AFAIK).

They match very well, and I understand the difference between the PX and PAX is subtle, so I would expect them to work similarly with the JVX.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Cool Jeff..thx!