1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EMG JVX Bridge in a PJ set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 23, 2014.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Is anyone running a JVX in the bridge position of an EMG PJ set a la Victor Wooten with his PAX/JVX set? I'm currently running your standard issue PJ's with a BQC in my P Lyte, and I heard a demo of the JVX's vs regular J's yesterday that I really liked, and now I'm considering replacing the J with a JVX, but I wanted to hear from those of you who have done similar...

---How does the JVX hang with the P or PX in terms of output?

---Considering that I'd only be replacing the bridge pickup and I'd still have a regular P, and also considering that I usually leave the J pickup out except for a small handful of songs, and also also considering that I'm not complaining about my sound with that bass as it is, do you think a swap to the JVX bridge is worth it?

--Other than the one I saw yesterday, where a dude compares like 10 sets of J pickups, I've not seen any other decent demos of the JVX pickups. Anyone know of any others that they can link me to?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i haven't tried it, but there might be an issue with mixing X-series with the regular stuff in terms of preamp output impedance or whatever.

the X stuff comes with a special active tone pot because the regular EMG 25k passive tone pot doesn't work the same way; that implies a difference in preamp output impedance, which could cause them to not blend right.

(again i don't know this, just a concern)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    What if you used a BQC instead of the standard tone pot?

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Not sure about the X series and a regular P, but I am using the JVX with PAX (the set bestbassgear sells as the Victor Wooten set, despite the fact that Victors basses still have PJX sets AFAIK).

They match very well, and I understand the difference between the PX and PAX is subtle, so I would expect them to work similarly with the JVX.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Cool Jeff..thx!