EMG JVX on Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by axool, Feb 23, 2014.

1. axool

axool

Hi,

I am actually building my active Jazz Bass and I am about to purchase some EMG JVX pickups because I really LOVE their tone. However, I have a little question, do you think that it could fit on a Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass, more pricisely on this bass body :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOADED-Fend...360?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item54044c6528

I have watched this video which explains how to install these pickups (in the end of the video)... But I can see that some controllers will be inactive if I put these EMG pickups, I think that (for me) it's not a problem, but do you think that I can encounter some issues installing these pickups on this Deluxe Jazz Bass body ?

I also have ordered a Status Graphite J Neck to fit on it.

Thanks,
    Axel
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Should be fine. EMG has its own controls that come with the pickup set. Just replace the old ones with the new ones.
  3. basskal77

basskal77

Yeah you will be more than ok!
  4. axool

axool

Sounds good, thanks!

However, just a little question : can I do something to "hide" the unused split and knobs ?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean. If you mean that you have extra knobs and/or controls that you will not be using, you can always just set them at where you want them and then tuck them into the control cavity. That's what I've currently done with a couple of basses.

I don't pan my pickups. I always use both pickups at 100%. Thus, if I don't feel like altering the wiring scheme in an attempt to remove the blend knob, I set it, tuck it in the control cavity, and then forget it.
  7. miholc

miholc

Hey, please report back what do you think about JVX's. There are threads and videos about'em but any additional info would be appreciated, thanks! Good luck with your build!
  8. axool

axool

@miholc : of course I will !

@bongostealth : ok, thanks for your answer! I will see when I will receive it ;-) !
  9. basskal77

basskal77

I think you mean the extra "high" from the knobs due to the cavity, I think to fix that would better to have a luthier adjust the cavity..
  10. epiless456

epiless456

Did the Status Graphite J Neck fit on the Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass?
  11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Sorry to be tardy to the party here, but I just got one of the basses today for a project, so I have some info you'll need...

1) The JVX set will NOT fit if they are staggered sizes.
    The pickups in this body are both the same size, like MIM J basses, and the pickups are both NECK sized. So if you get the JVX set without ordering them as 92mm/3.6" on both... they won't fit without routing needed.

2) You could put 2 neck sized pickups in and be just fine.

You'd have to order them that way, which may be more, but it'd be an easy fit.
    You can also rout the bridge for the proper size, it doesn't take much wood off. But you'd have to paint the spots you remove. I've done this with MIM J basses before.

As for the holes, you can either plug them with plastic or rubber plugs, use dummy pots and knobs (aka, Producer Switch), or you could just keep the preamp in there. You'd have to change the pan pot, but the rest would work fine.
    I've worked on a ton of these and currently have one on my bench, so if you need info, feel free to PM me.

OH, and if you're putting a Status neck on this... AWESOME!!!!