1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EMG MM5TW W/Coil Tap Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by miketallica315, Apr 11, 2014.

1. miketallica315

miketallica315

Hello friends of the low end,
    I apologize if this question has already been discussed. I recently over the last couple of weeks acquired a couple new basses to my line up, an ESP/LTD Surveyor-4 and the ESP/LTD Surveyor-415. I love both of these basses and have moved them to the front of my guitar stands. I know the electronics pretty well, I mean come on, it's pretty straightforward. Here is where I would like your two cents: when I engage the coil tap switch on my Surveyor-4 you can clearly hear the difference between the single coil and the MM humbucker but the volume of the two is closely related. In the case of my Surveyor-415 however the volume between the MM humbucker and the coil tapped single coil is so far apart. It is almost as if the MM humbucker mode is twice as loud as the single coil mode. Is this normal? The only difference between the two basses is that the four string is stung with Cobalt Slinkys and a rosewood board and the five string is equipped with Regular Slinkys with a maple board. Is there anything I can do to help the single coil mode be more prominent? Making extreme modifications isn't really an option. Thanks!

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mike, both my MMTW and my 40TW equipped basses (see my sig) are quieter in single-coil than humbucker mode. This is a fairly common question. I've also noticed There is a noticeable output drop when I blend pickups on the Surveyor and a smaller drop with B-1005.

Bob

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I noticed the same thing when I had that EMG in my Spector so it's normal.

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Had this issue with my 45 TW's, with the 45TWX's they balanced the volume between the two modes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. miketallica315

miketallica315

Thanks for posting your replies. I'm glad to hear that my brand new bass isn't defective. I do wonder why the single coil mode in my Surveyor-4 is pretty close in volume to the dual coil mode but the single coil mode in my Surveyor-415 really doesn't even come close? Would installing the EMG PA-2 help to bring the single coil mode up to a comparable level to the dual coil mode in my Surveyor-415?

7. Bobster

Bobster

8. miketallica315

miketallica315

Thanks Bob. I will do that Monday early afternoon.