Emg on vintage Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damos, Feb 1, 2013.

1. damos

damos

Hello

Are there many artists who play on vintage Jazzbass with EMG pickups on it?

Thanks

I see this on EBS website

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

3. damos

damos

I saw Guy Pratt too with EMG..
    I say it was his main bass for studio in a Bassplayer interview..
  4. damos

damos

the EMG pickups may be less complicate than a gas plant as on a preamp and you keep Jazzbass configuration two volume and a tone
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. damos

damos

No EMG fans here ?
  7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I tried EMG's in my real deal '62 and didn't care for them in that bass and went back to the original pickups.
  8. Mykk

Mykk

I have EMG's and BQ-A in my 15 year old bass with a replacement "vintage" profile maple neck. I love them
  9. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Bobby Vega's not good enough?
  10. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

I love them in a Jazz. I think Alex Al uses them in his.
  11. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

They sound cold and sterile in my opinion. I used a pair on a J copy made by John Suhr, back in the 80s. Not my cup of tea.
    I prefer the Nordstrand approach to mix vintage with modern.
  12. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I just put a set in a MIM Jazz I have last week. I like the sound. It's definitely a different sound and I can tell I'm going to experiment with different strings. I'll probably put a set of flat wounds on it next. The strings on it now are round wound and are a little too aggressive.
  13. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Have a p/j set in a ESP Vintage 4 and love 'em. The 1st owner swapped out the original Duncan vintage hot set for these. I loved the bass and got a great deal on it and assumed I'd put some type of passives back. No plans now-love the EMGs.
  14. damos

damos

Hello

Alex Al yes very good

Thanks
  15. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

I'm using a set of JX pickups with a BTC tone control. Take this all FWIW, because I'm using a 2011 MIM Jazz Bass body with a Warmoth Goncalno Alves/Pau Ferro neck. At first, I thought the pickups were rather neutral and perhaps too bight and slightly muddy or undefined, but the BTC has helped clear that up. The BTC uses EQ points of 20hz for the Lows and I set the treble point to the widest and highest setting, which effects the mids from about 200hz peaking at around 10khz and remaining shelving from that point up.

But instead of boosting these frequencies, I use them to my advantage to clean up the EMG sound, by rolling off the highs all the way at 10db, sometimes less to about 1/2 that for a brighter sound. This to me sounded a lot like a tone control, but still allows brilliance and upper mids to shine through. I also then roll off the lows very slightly. This helps accentuate 100-200hz, and makes my direct unaffected tone through a DI sound punchy and full. I also am still only using 3 holes on my bass. Aside from a little routing to fit a single 9v battery, everything fit in without modification.

Honestly, I've never been happier with my tone since. Roll off what you don't like and you'll have a better experience with EMG pickups if you are a more vintage guy. Oh yeah, I never hear 60hz noise anymore, and even the noisiest rooms I play in are quiet for me. I also find myself being able to actually use single pickup sounds in my Jazz bass without having the noise floor go to hell. In some rooms I was stuck using both pickups and dealing with some 60hz noise. Now I can run neck pickup only and never hear noise.

You just have to re-approach your tone controls once you get EMG pickups. For instance, this might not work well with an amp that has a low cut filter applied already, like a Genz Benz Shuttle or GBE1200. But for my Ampeg PF-500 it has cleared up what I didn't like and made the amp sound like its worth double it's cost.

If I was using the standard non-x pickups, I would need 2 9v for 18v to make them sound. I've so far been fine with 9v on the X's. With standard J set and 2)9v I was able to fit that all under my control plate (with smaller soldered on pots), both 9v and the wires + pots fit without modification on a Warmoth J bass body. I think the fender body might be close if not the same.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used EMG J's in my 76 Precision for years in the 80's and loved it. Then I used a PJ set in it and loved it too, and now I'm using PJ's in my 95 P Lyte along with a BQC preamp. Don't use them in my 76 anymore because I started digging passives again, but wouldn't mind having a Precision or Jazz with them in it.