EMG P - Any good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnWest, Feb 21, 2014.

1. JohnWest

JohnWest

I can't find any review of this pickups. Anyone has it? I have no experience with EMG. :(
  2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I played through one years ago. If it's the original model, I think you will find it to be fat, focused and clean. It has very good note definition. Some people find this to be somewhat sterile. I liked it in the short time I played through it, but it was not for long and my playing has changed a lot since then. I think I will try it again. Lot's pros love EMGs though. I have heard they record very well.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you like EMG's I think they are excellent.
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I love the EMG PX pickup in my Fender, the JX doesn't handle the 7.25" radius too well though. I've used the EMG 35P before as well in an ESP bass. I love how they sound for a P pickup.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

7. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i'm really happy with my new EMG Geezer Butler P bass PU.
  8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Years ago I had a P bass with an EMG PJ set and it was the best sounding bass I ever owned.
  9. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I'm guessing you're asking about the original, which is the most common active EMG P model found used. If so:

It's civilized. Sweet. The best ensemble blend you can get out of a P pickup, IMO. My pick if I could have only one P pickup to do everything from big band to rock to cocktail combo.

Matter of fact, I just did get one bass, and I reached in the junk box and yup, the old EMG P is going in there. I have a '62 RI and an original '73 somewhere. Nah.

Definitely the EMG actives are a safe P pickup. If it looks like rain and you're outdoors, you'll be happy when you kiss a mic to not be ground for your rig.

NBD in the US, but in 220v countries, people keep dying from this. If you kiss a mic in the US in the drizzle, you'll just puke. If you travel, remember no sound is "to die for."
    JimmyM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's why I use a wireless ;)

Love the EMG P, though. Used them off and on for 30 years now. I'm using the Geezer most of the time now, but I have 3 basses with the active PJ set in them and they rule.
  11. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Same here. I'm blown away by how good my two P-basses with GZR's sound.
  12. kurosawa

Does a passive interact as well with V1 through a wireless as a cable? (If so, you might well have the best possible combination of safety and sound there.)
  13. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Misconception. Electricity at 110v is no less dangerous than 220v. Voltage itself does not kill, current does.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I always thought it did.
    kurosawa likes this.
  15. dmac1961

dmac1961

+1 to all the above on the original EMG P. My Yammy BB2K has been sporting EMG PJ's for 20 years. Clean, quiet and versatile, will cover virtually any gig.
  16. ricknote

ricknote Supporting Member

EMG's have their own sound. Very even, extremely quiet, and tons of useable bottom and clear highs. I've played on them in the past and they always sound great. Currently using a Nordy in mine but would be perfectly happy to return to the EMG.
  17. kurosawa

Googling around, Wikipedia lists 3 on-stage rock deaths by electrocution, all UK. Another page lists 5, all UK. When I first read of the problem, it was mentioned that Germany had 16 guitarist deaths by electrocution in a decade. Not finding any in the US. Let me know if you do.
  18. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    they're great, has alot more thickness and clarity to it but still sounds like a good old p bass :)