EMG p-up's & pre defective?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VanillaThundah, Apr 14, 2014.

1. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Installed some brand new emg JX pickups in my Ibanez CTB5 bass along with a BQC preamp from EMG as well. At first I was getting distortion VERY easily when playing, but was getting low output at the same time. I was really confused because I thought something was up with the amp or cable. Then I decided to try wiring it for 18v operation since I was using active pickups AND preamp.

I followed all the instructions the preamp listed and double checked all the wiring. Re-did some solders as well to make sure everything was perfect. Stiiiiill had issues, then I finally swapped a few plugs and for some reason that killed the distortion, but now I have the same issue as before, very low output. It's less than a passive bass unless I have the preamp absolutely cranked, then it's almost as loud as my stock Squier CV 60's P-bass. I've heard that Bartolinis are low-output pickups but mine absolutely smoke this by a longshot. Is something wrong with the EMGs or is this just how they operate?

I'm incredibly close to the strings, it doesn't sound bad but it's just such an unusable volume that I'd have to do too much just to get it in the ballpark of my other basses. Any ideas or words of wisdom before I pack these up and attempt to return them?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You sure you hooked everything up right, including the one plug they say to flip upside down? ;)

If so, then call or email EMG tomorrow. They have great CS and they'll get you right.
  3. VanillaThundah

Media:
    Wait, which plug you flip upside down?? Are you kidding or serious, Jimmy??? lol
  4. VanillaThundah

Media:
    Ok I flipped it and yes...I'm ready to receive my "Dumba** of the Day Award" LOL

Thanks Jimmy, MUCH more useable volume :bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BWAHAHAHA!!! Hey, everyone does that. I did two of them and did it both times.
  7. crguti

crguti

well, next time triple check all the wiring...
  8. VanillaThundah

Media:
    YES! lol

Hopefully some other shmuck will find this thread and prevent himself from winning that crappy award as well :p
  9. Tristan

Tristan

Just out of curiousity, what plug to you need to flip and why?
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  11. Tristan

Tristan

Good enough! Thanks Jimmy!