1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EMG P vs. PA for Squire Vintage Modified Fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KB4178, Feb 5, 2014.

1. KB4178

KB4178

Thinking about a pickup upgrade for a Squier Vintage Modified Precision Fretless. I've had a set of original EMGs in my Fender JBS for 25+ years, and I've always loved their sound. For the new Squire, though, I'd like to get something with a warmer, more vintage sound. The EMG PAs look like they might fit the bill.

How do the PAs compare sound wise to the original EMG P?

Any other P pickups (preferably active) that's you'd recommend as an upgrade to the Squire Vintage Modified Precision fretless?

Anyone heard the EMG GZR yet? How do they stack up, sound wise?

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Wish I could help you with a comparo between P and PA. I really dig the P's, though. However, I should be getting a Geezer P very soon and I'm really looking forward to trying it. It was designed using Bobby Vega's vintage Fenders as a benchmark, and of all the pickups Geezer tried in his Lakland sig models, it was the only one that hit the mark for him.

3. Greevus

Greevus

I've got a set of PA's in my MIM Fender P. Sounds more "vintage" than P's for sure. It is subtle though. I've played the P's for a while, and the PA's are what I would call "cleaner/smoother".