Emg passive/active selector?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickups, Apr 7, 2014.

1. pickups

pickups

Thinking of having an active Emg p/j set installed and was wondering is there a way to have a push pull knob for passive or active? Thanks

2. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    Traditional EMG's are active only. The only way to do it is using passive EMG's with an active pre.

3. pickups

pickups

Ill probably just go active then. Thanks for your response

4. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

there is no way since the integrated preamp is essential for the pickup to work. Without it, the output would be super low.

from their FAQ section, it talks about the battery running out but it gives insight on how their pickups work

What happens if the battery runs out?

We were afraid you were going to ask... Because EMG pickups are designed from the ground up to operate as active pickups, they’re not very functional when deprived of power. As the battery weakens over time, the output level will reduce and become more distorted. When you hear that happening, it’s time to change the battery.

Below a certain voltage, the onboard active circuitry will stop working. At that point, you will hear little or no output from the guitar. Don’t let this happen to you!

Other “active” systems run the output of normal high-impedance pickups into a buffer amp or active EQ circuit. If the battery goes dead in one of these systems, you can bypass the active circuit and still get some sound. That’s nice, but this sort of design compromises the pickup design yielding only a few of the benefi ts of optimized active pickup design. That bypass switch will cost you tone and noise - a BAD tradeoff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pickups

pickups

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wonder if the Geezer Butler PJ set would work with the BQC-HZ or BQS-HZ. Should, shouldn't it? I'm afraid my product knowledge about this setup is limited, but the Geezers are totally passive and sound absolutely awesome, and would be good candidates for a passive/active preamp IMHO.

8. pickups

pickups

Not sure about BQC or BQS but i just ordered the active emg's and cant wait. I ve heard a little about the new EmgX stuff but I'm going with the originals this time around.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've tried the originals and the X series and I prefer the originals. The X series sounds basically like the originals but goes higher on highs and lower on lows, and I prefer a less bright pickup. A lot of folks like the X's and they're good pickups but the regular PJ set is my thing.

10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have the original p/j s in 2 ESP Vintage 4s / VVT and in my latest CAR Vintage 4 I have the X version with the BTC system. I like the master volume / balance set up and with the separate bass and treble it's easy to dial back the highs and bass independently if needed .

I love passive Fender style basses but can 't deny now good my EMG loaded basses sound. I think they work especially well in a p/j setup, better than most passive p/Js I've heard.

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Not sure about P/J set, but DC40's, 40P5's etc work just fine w/o the/any preamp (35/40/45 CS, etc incl). They have their own integrated, internal, low impedance preamp. Some are installed with vol/vol/tone. Plenty of output w/o a pre. They do require a battery, of course, as they are 'active'- a preamp installed inside the pickup.
    These can be installed with a preamp, including a preamp bypass switch if desired.

12. pickups

pickups

Is it possible to add the BTC system later if i want?

13. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Shouldn't be a problem to add BTC later . If you have 3 holes for VVT you're set and the new EMG stuff is solder less connected as well. I like it so well thinking of changing my VVT originals as well .

14. pickups

pickups

Cool. Im going to install the emgs next week and if i have enough room after the 9v i may get the BTC. These emgs are going into a American Precision that i just had a J pup installed. So I'm hoping i won't need anymore routing sanding.