EMG PHZ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philvanv, Mar 7, 2014.

1. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I am wondering why so many people that prefer passive pickups do not care for EMG's. If given the oppertunity, I would choose an EMG set up for all styles of rock. So if a few would explain to why many passive pup users dislike EMH PHZ..
  2. levis76

levis76

I've never had experience with the PHZ, but I have had 40HZs before and did not like them at all. For passive p'ups they sounded dull, not much high mid and they get a bit muddy. They do sound thick, I'll give them that, but not full. I replaced them with the active 40DC and never gave the HZs another thought.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love their actives, especially love the BQC preamp. The EMG HZ's I've played and owned I thought were decent, solid sounding pickups, but there are other passive pickups I like better. The new Geezer Butler P they have coming out any day now, however, is magnificent in every way. I was able to get one in advance last week and it's blown away anything else I've tried for vintage style P pickups, so now I'm getting a Geezer PJ set for my other Precision. EMG's getting ready to beef up their passive line, and the Geezer P and PJ sets are first.

But if you're happy with the HZ's, far be it from anyone to argue with your choice. Pickup choices are very personal, and we're not all looking for the same things.
    FaithNoMan likes this.
  4. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

I think the perception of them as EMGs discount brand makes people look down on them the way people do with other brands too.

Personally, I think they're decent, but after recently replacing the HZs in my Spector with EMG 40ps, I couldn't be happier; they're better all around, but the difference on the low B is by far the most dramatic.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grissle

Grissle

I have some SSD EMG's in a Spector I like better than the HZ's as well. I would describe them as having a P bass character but with a hi-mid sizzle. I believed they are based on the HZ's but are tighter with more low-mid grunt.
  7. philvanv

Disclosures:
    I currently am using Joe "GAMMA" Milstiens thunderous P pups. But, in the past I've always used EMG Passive. I was just curious why people disliked them on the board.
  8. maturanesa

maturanesa

i had a P with an EMG Hz. The tone is kinda neutral, flat eq, very clean signal. I liked it.
  9. philvanv

Disclosures:
    I have liked them for so long that I am so curious what my Gamma would sound like with them, but the P sounds so dialed in Im making no changes.....
  10. basehed

basehed

In the same vein, can I get measurements for the phz? The emg site doesn't have the height measurement.
  11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I never thought of the HZ's as their "discount" line...just their passive line. The "Selects" were their passive budget line and were probably some of the worst pickups ever made. I used to own an ESP with HZ humbuckers that sounded great. Also, their new Geezer pups are decent and were initially an extension of the HZ line in a P format. There's definitely much worse to be had out there, quality wise.
  12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I had a pair of 40Hz pickups stock in my Ibby SRA305 that sounded great. If all I had were conventional bar gigs, I would have kept them. I changed them because I do outdoor gigs, and because I like tapewound strings. For both reasons, I needed the isolated internal ground that EMG actives provides. But I still keep them. I'm going to put them in a backup bass, because everybody needs a conventional passive backup bass that is as similar as possible to the main active bass.