EMG pickup upgrade-DIY???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kjpollo, Jul 5, 2009.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Guys,
    I have a Schecter Riot 5 that has EMG-HZ 40 pickups and an EMG 2 band pre. The sound is OK but nothing to rave about so I'm considering an upgrade of the pickups.
    I'm thinking about a 40P5 at the neck and a 40DC at the bridge.
    From looking on the EMG website, the pickups appear to be exact replacements and they have that special EMG quick connector.

I just want to be sure here-there is NO soldering necessary, right??
    I have zero experience with soldering so if these pickups are literally "plug and play" I can do this myself.

Sorry about this being a "Pickup Replacement For Dummies" kind of post but I havent done this before.
    Thanks!

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

The HZ connectors do not plug into the active pickups, so you'll need to do some re-soldering.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The active pickups have 3 pin connectors, and you also need to wire up the power to the pickups.

So you will have to solder some wires.... you will have to remove the old pickup cable and replace it with the new one, and then wire the red wire up to the battery clip that is also powering the preamp.

The only direct replacements that plug into the EMG-HZ 5 pin connector are my pickups. ;)