EMG pickups height adjustment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by crguti, Sep 26, 2012.

1. crguti

crguti

Do you need to put them as close as you can from the strings? [​IMG]
  2. JP Morin

JP Morin

yes, if they are active pickups: for the best sound, you can put them really close to the strings as they are low magnetic... If they are passive (like HZ series), you would adjust them like other passive pickups I guess...

If I were you I'd look at the installation instructions .pdf on the EMG web site and see what is recommended the for your kind of pickups...
  3. Mykk

Mykk

I feel they sound best closest to the strings, with my J bass I have a height bias towards the neck pickup too.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Experiment and find what works best for you with your equipment.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They definitely have more balls the closer they are. But some people have them so close they're almost touching strings. I'm not into that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. imtiaz3

imtiaz3

Yea I got the emg 40dc's and instructions and everyone on forums say get as close to the strings as possible, not sure if the 40dc's are different, but I found them noticeably more magnetic compare to my old ibanez pickups. I tried putting them really close to the strings and yea they sounded pretty ballsy, but found they got quite distorted when I play with my band really loud, and my 5th string lost alot of sustain. Once I lowered the pickup height, the sustain returned and they still sounded quite ballsy
  7. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Banned

No, guitarists say that all the time, but it isn't true.

Like with any pickup, you need to put them where they sound best to your ears without distorting or bothering you.

They will probably end up closer to the strings than a Fender type pickup for a series of reasons, but that's about it.
  8. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Yep it can be done but some pickups like Mighty Mites cant be put too close cause they effect the strings magnetic pull.The result is achorus type evvect that realy p****S me off but the funny thing is pickups imo sound better when they are a little further away from the strings.